Romance Languages

Rick   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:33 am GMT
The Romans invaded many parts of Europe and made people speak their language.
What are all the Romance languages?

I know about English, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. Is French a Romance language?
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 am GMT
Wrong forum, and yes, French is a romance language.
Matt   Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:12 am GMT
Rick, are you saying that English is a Romance language? It's not (although it is heavily influenced by Latin and French).

Romanian is another Romance language, by the way.
Mark   Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 am GMT
English is recognised as a germanic language, and as stated heavily influenced by Latin and French.
furrykef   Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
This has been reposted in the Language forum and further discussion should take place there: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7466.htm
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
French may not look very Latin-like in some ways... a lot of Latin words were changed beyond recognition by processes such as elision. For instance, the Latin verb "stare" became "être", which doesn't look much like the original verb, whereas the Spanish and Italian versions -- estar and stare, respectively -- are more recognizable.

To tell teh truth ETRE doesn't mean STARE but ESSERE !!!!!
try again
Pauline   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:41 pm GMT
Rick Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:33 am GMT

>>The Romans invaded many parts of Europe and made people speak their language.
What are all the Romance languages?

I know about English, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. Is French a Romance language?<<

English is a Germanic language.

spanish, Portuguese, Italian, french, Romanian, Catalan, Occitan, wallon, Sardinian, Corsicn etc....................................are Romance languages.
furrykef   Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
Oops, I posted the wrong link, which linked back to this thread. The correct link is here: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7467.htm

Further discussion should take place *there*, not here.

<< To tell teh truth ETRE doesn't mean STARE but ESSERE !!!!!
try again >>

It means both. I didn't want to complicate the discussion.
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 pm GMT
English is a latinized German language
Guest   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 pm GMT
<< To tell teh truth ETRE doesn't mean STARE but ESSERE !!!!!
try again >>

It means both. I didn't want to complicate the discussion.

No no! You were wrong in your post.
Etre means essere in the principal meaning of the verb, if you mean essere like "stare" then we have the Italian STARE the Spanish ESTAR and the French RESTER, so they are very similar.
French is a romance language and total latinized
Pauline   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07 pm GMT
furrykef Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:53 pm GMT

>>Oops, I posted the wrong link, which linked back to this thread. The correct link is here: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7467.htm

Further discussion should take place *there*, not here. <<

are you the Antimoon moderator now? Better than Brennus for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Travis   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:10 pm GMT
>>English is a latinized German language<<

Not quite; English is an Anglo-Frisian language with significant quantities of loans from Old French, Middle French, Latin, Greek, and, last but not least, Old Norse and more words that are constructed from such original loans (which very well may be mixed Romance/Germanic in nature). It is not simply latinized German, as it lacks the High German consonant shift and it also shares a number of sound shifts with the Frisian languages (such as the palatalization and affrication of /k/ before front vowels; come classic examples of this are shown by comparing English "cheese" and West Frisian "tsiis" with Dutch "kaas" and German "Käse" or English "church" and West Frisian "tsjerke" with Dutch "kerk" and German "Kirche") which are not shared with the rest of the West Germanic languages (such as German, Dutch, and Low Saxon).
Travis   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
That should be "some classic examples" above.
greg   Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:28 pm GMT
Rick : « Is French a Romance language? ».

Oui, bien sûr — comme toutes les autres langues d'Oïl.
learner   Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:03 pm GMT
Is German a Romance language?