Why is English swearing so weak?

Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:42 pm GMT
Uriel darling, how do you use "motherfucker" in the nicest possible way? If I used such a term to one of my friends, I would register a room for myself at a local hospital.
Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
Americans NEVER use obscenities.

NOOO??? mhhh watching 80% of American movies I'd say the OPPOSITE
Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
On second thoughts, was our Uriel being sarcastic there in her previous statement?
furrykef   Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:02 am GMT
<< Uriel darling, how do you use "motherfucker" in the nicest possible way? If I used such a term to one of my friends, I would register a room for myself at a local hospital. >>

Actually, there *are* nice ways to use it... particularly in, but not restricted to, African-American speech. It depends entirely on context, and you should exercise extreme caution in using it.

But, for example, if somebody comes up with a brilliant idea, you could say something like, "You're a brilliant motherfucker, you know that?". It should be taken as a compliment if said in a sincere rather than sarcastic tone of voice. But you have to know your audience, too... obviously, it's not something you'd say to people who get offended easily.

<< On second thoughts, was our Uriel being sarcastic there in her previous statement? >>

I'm pretty sure she was, at least to some extent.

- Kef
Guest   Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 am GMT
''Why does English have only two swear words? The F word and C word. ''

you can say SCREW YOU and SIT AND SPIN (showing your finger to the ofendée :)
Franco   Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 am GMT
But screw you is just euphemism. And sit and spin is whack. ja ja ja.
Liz   Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:43 am GMT
<<Why does English have only two swear words? The F word and C word.>>

Whoever said that ought to broaden his vocabulary. :-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:17 pm GMT
Oaths and blasphemes and bawdy terms have always been part of the human condition and no Language is immune. As we all know some are directly linked to religion and the Almighty Deity, and most of the others have very blunt sexual connections. I can't off hand think of any other sources which give rise to foul or blasphemous terms of expression. I don't believe that "bad language/swearing" in English is any weaker than some other Language - if it is I'd love to know some details to prove it, as I mentioned previously. I appreciate that it may be embarrassing to give examples if they truly are vile - but is anyone really that coy?

In the British media at least some swear words are virtually universal in some "popular" programs - I mean things like dramas, soaps and stuff like that, so I guess that goes some way to watering down their shock effect. The "worst" words, though, are still a total "no-no". "F" in all its forms pass muster but "C" is totally banned - I think. There is an evening time watershed however, and such programs are usually preceded by an announcement warning viewers of the content, be it bad or profane language or sexual.
furrykef   Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
<< "F" in all its forms pass muster but "C" is totally banned - I think. >>

I wonder if this is a regional thing... whenever I hear the idea that the word "cunt" is worse than the word "fuck", it seems to usually be a British person who says it. (However, my mother agrees...) I think if you ask an American what the most offensive words in the language are, they'll probably respond with either "fuck" (or its various forms) or "nigger".

In context, though, I can see it being more offensive than "fuck". Calling somebody a "cunt" can be a very severe insult.

<< Oaths and blasphemes and bawdy terms have always been part of the human condition and no Language is immune. >>

Actually, Japanese is said to have very few swear terms... the only one I know is "kuso", which basically means "shit" but I *think* it's less severe than the English term. That's not to say that it's hard to be offensive in Japanese. On the contrary, it's probably the easiest language to be offensive in. If you use the wrong verb or the wrong conjugation at the wrong time, you could be in trouble -- the myriad ways this can happen go far beyond the "tu/vous" distinction in French.

- Kef
Adam   Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
I've heard many Americans say the British swear a lot more than they do. On a discussion forum a few days ago, an Americans said "The British have very imaginative cuss words."

I also think the British have a wider varirty of swear words than the Americans.
furrykef   Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:40 pm GMT
A wider variety, perhaps, but I don't know if they swear more often...
Uriel   Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:05 am GMT
<<On second thoughts, was our Uriel being sarcastic there in her previous statement? >>

Damn! You saw right through me! In fact, from here on out, I may just have to register myself as "Sarcastic Southwesterner".
Guest   Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:51 am GMT
I am an American and I wish that other Americans would swear less. Their swearing offends me.
max   Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:28 pm GMT
there are so many different opinions in this forum...
on the other page somebody says Americans never swear, but then i read this

Guest Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:51 am GMT
I am an American and I wish that other Americans would swear less. Their swearing offends me.

And about the "English language is a racist language" - thats stupid, it has racist words, but your only racist if you speak them, as with almost every other language in the world...
Guest   Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:59 pm GMT
If you think English swearing is "weak" then you have one or two problems, both of of which have to do with a poor understanding of the language.
1) You are most likely in no position to judge just how profane a a given "offensive" word or expression comes across to a native speaker as such words and expressions are just sounds to you, but may be highly offensive to a native speaker.

2) You should avoid using any kind of profanity without an intimate understanding of the language, because you might otherwise someday make yourself look a like a fool, or worse, get yourself hurt by crossing the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One should try avoid deliberately using offensive language when speaking a foreign language. It doesn't make you look smart but rather quite the opposite.