I'll appreaciate your help.

Thank you
Adrian   Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:58 am GMT
Hi Lourdes,

All the features you mentioned above:
1.- Looking up a word
2.-To see the phonetic symbol of the same word
3.-Hearing how the word sounds

In addition to 1000s words, phrases and idioms of American and British English are available in Longman Contemprory English Dictionary. The dictionary is accompained with a CD that includes an electronic dictionary that you can download and use to learn the pronunciations (the British and American accents), look up new words and practice your English with various helpful exercises.

Try it:)
Tim Bowyer   Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:16 am GMT
...There's now a free one online - It's still under development, but you can test drive it at www.howjsay.com .
Kirk   Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:20 am GMT
<<...There's now a free one online - It's still under development, but you can test drive it at www.howjsay.com .>>

Interesting site, but it doesn't work right all the time. For instance, I typed in "brought" and the closest word it suggested, "drought," is not pronounced with the same vowel despite its spelling. That would be misleading to learners. Also, the recordings are only in RP English, which is great for people attempting to emulate that accent but not so for others.
Travis   Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:12 am GMT
For me at least, the site simply is not working. After typing in any given word, it would not display any nearest word information, nor would it display any information on the word itself; no pronunciations were available to me at all on given words. Of course, then, as it is still underdevelopment, one should not really expect it to work much if at all anyways to begin with.