"kiln"

Jim H.   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:04 am GMT
How do you pronounce this word and what's your age? I'm 67 and I pronounce it [kI5]. I regard [kI5n] as being a spelling pronunciation.
Travis   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:12 am GMT
I pronounce it as [k_hI:M~n]; this may very well be a spelling pronunciation, but the analogous non-spelling pronunciation [k_hI:M] is not extant here today to begin with.
Lazar   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:16 am GMT
I pronounce it ["k_hI5n]. I've read about the pronunciation without [n], but I've never heard anyone use it.
Guest   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:21 am GMT
Travis, Lazar....what about your ages?
Travis   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:25 am GMT
I'm 23 myself at the present.
Lazar   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:30 am GMT
I'm 18.
Travis   Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:39 am GMT
On that note, it'd be interesting to see if there are any older people or even middle aged people around here who have /kIl/, as it seems that older and middle aged people can often have drastically more conservative speech than that of many if not most younger people here in areas. (By drastically, I mean things like key phonological rules that I take for granted in the speech of younger people like tr\ > tSr\ not necessarily applying and like.)
Travis   Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:08 am GMT
If the OED of all things is listing /kIln/ for "kiln" in English in general, could /kIl/ actually be a loan from Scottish English (and possibly from Scots via it) which some have artificially imposed as being the "correct" form in English in general?
furrykef   Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:20 am GMT
I pronounce it "kiln", but it's a word that I've only seen in writing. So it only figures that I'd adopt a spelling pronunciation. Nonetheless, I don't like the silent "n" because I don't know of any other word in the language where the "n" is silent after "l". It simply doesn't make sense to me.

As a counterpoint, the pronunciation of "colonel" as "kernel" is even more bizarre, yet it is universal... but colonels come up in conversation far more often than kilns do, so the strange spelling is easier to accept.

- Kef
Kess   Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:32 pm GMT
I pronounce it: killeen' (it rhymes with keen )
24y.o.a.
Kess   Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:34 pm GMT
My bad :) Blond moment ;) it's not the word killing
''kiln'' is [kIl(n)] for me
Uriel   Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:48 pm GMT
I had a ceramics teacher back in high school who insisted that the N was silent and always said "kill", but he's the only person I've ever met who said it that way. I've always said "kiln", and I'm 34. (For another week, dammit!)
Jim H.   Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:26 pm GMT
What about "film"? I pronounce it [fIm].
Jim H.   Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
<<I'm 18 and I pronounce it [kIon].>>

Just curious, Josh Lalonde, was that a typo or do you really pronounce it that way? The "l" key is close to the "o" key which is why I'm asking.
Jim H.   Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
[5] and [m] don't seem to get along in my accent. Along with [fIm] for "film" I also pronounce "calm", "palm" and "almond" as [kAm], [pAm] and [Am@nt].