take/accept

Dolly   Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:13 am GMT
Why can you say "take/accept credit cards", but not "take/accept murder"? Why can't you use "take" in the last example?
Skippy   Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:47 pm GMT
Because murder is something someone does to another person... You can't murder a credit card....

I'm not completely sure I understand where you're coming from.
beneficii   Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:51 pm GMT
Dolly, so you can take murder and hold it in your hand?
K. T.   Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:24 am GMT
Did you mean "take a life"?
Skippy   Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:53 am GMT
ohhhhhh yeah you can 'take a life.'
Dolly   Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:30 am GMT
Can you say "to get rid of the president, I would accept murder as an option "? If so, what does "accept" mean there¿

What does "accept" mean here: "we accept credit cards."?
furrykef   Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 am GMT
These are two different meanings of "accept".

"I would accept murder as an option." = I would allow murder as an option.

"We accept credit cards." Here the word "accept" is used more like "receive". A credit card is a physical object that they "take" from you: "If you offer us a credit card, we will accept it."

Compare and contrast definitions 1 and 2 from here: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/accept

- Kef
JP   Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:50 am GMT
<<Can you say "to get rid of the president, I would accept murder as an option "? If so, what does "accept" mean there¿

What does "accept" mean here: "we accept credit cards."?>>

In the first sentence "accept" means to consent to or agree with, or (in some cases) willing to consider. So in this sense of the word, it is possible to say "to get rid of the president, I would accept [agree with using, consent to using, be willing to consider] murder as an option."

But you might not want to say this too loudly in public... ;)

In the second sentence, "accept" means to take something offered; in this case, it is something offered as a form of payment. So in this sense of the word, it is also possible to say "We accept [are willing to receive] credit cards," with "as a form of payment" implied but typically not stated.

The word can be correctly used in either of these senses.