The word "sicko".

Dolly   Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
Looking in Google, I see the word "sicko" gives almost 2.7 million hits, but are they all for Moore's new film? I mean, is that word used for other things?
beneficii   Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
Dolly: I eat French fries, even if they've fallen in the garbage.

Me: Ewww, get away from me, you sicko!
SpaceFlight   Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm GMT
beneficii gave a good example of the use of that word.
Skippy   Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
"Sicko" is the colloquial noun form of someone who is "sick," not in the sense of being ill, but in the sense of being weird, kooky, or something along those lines.
Dolly   Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:55 am GMT
<<"Sicko" is the colloquial noun form of someone who is "sick," not in the sense of being ill, but in the sense of being weird, kooky, or something along those lines. >>

Mentally sick, then?

Is that the meaning used in Moore's film? If so, who is it referring to?
Skippy   Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:56 pm GMT
When I think of a "sicko" it could be used in like, a playful sense like what beneficii said, or harsher like "Saddam Hussein was a sicko" meaning he was insane or enjoyed tormenting others.

Michael Moore's film title is kind of a pun. First, the root of the word is "sick" and the film's about health care, and "Sicko" because he thinks the people in charge of the insurance companies are sickos.

I hate Michael Moore...
Pos   Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
<I hate Michael Moore... >

Really? Do you know him?
Damian in London SW15   Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
I don't know about "sicko" so much - a person who's a bit of a perv is the usual meaning here in the UK. Here, if you wake up one morning with a raging hangover and you realise with dread that you're meant to be at work, you can "throw a sickie" - ie: ring up work and say that you have been struck down overnight with a bad dose of 'flu or something dire. Not that I've ever tried it, of course. I think they use the term in Oz - in fact, I think we borrowed it from those guys.
semibovinian   Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:28 am GMT
Whenever I see "sicko", it sorta reminds me of "weirdo".
Guest   Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Sicko in the states does imply someone is weird, but more in a demented or perverted way, beyond merely being a non-conformist.

Skippy is right about the film. The title is a play on words.
Skippy   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:24 am GMT
lol I don't know him personally...
Pos   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:34 am GMT
<lol I don't know him personally... >

How can you hate someone you've not met?
Skippy   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
I hate people like Hitler and Mao Zedong but I've never met them either.

I've also never met "spam" but evidently I hate spam too.
M56   Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 am GMT
<I hate people like Hitler and Mao Zedong but I've never met them either. >

I guess you can hate the actions of a person you've never met, but hating the person...?