struck, stricken

Guest   Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
What is the difference?
Pos   Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:58 pm GMT
stricken
North American or archaic past participle of STRIKE.

• adjective 1 seriously affected by an undesirable condition or unpleasant feeling. 2 (of a face or look) showing great distress.
Guest   Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:02 am GMT
Examples (US English):

The car was struck from behind, just before the gas tank exploded. (I don't think you'd usually see "stricken" here).

This locomotive was stricken from the roster and sold as scrap in December 1956. (I don't think you'd usually see "struck" in this case.)
Guest   Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:36 am GMT
<The car was struck from behind, just before the gas tank exploded. (I don't think you'd usually see "stricken" here).

This locomotive was stricken from the roster and sold as scrap in December 1956. (I don't think you'd usually see "struck" in this case.) >

So, are the meanings of the words the same, in American English, or not?
furrykef   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:19 am GMT
They're basically the same, but I agree with the Guest above you: "struck" is usually used as the past participle of "strike" when it's used in a literal sense (something hitting another), and "stricken" is usually used for the sense of removing something from a list, text, etc.

- Kef
Dolly   Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:23 am GMT
<and "stricken" is usually used for the sense of removing something from a list, text, etc. >

Is that the meaning in "stricken with fever"?
Guest   Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:47 am GMT
>> <and "stricken" is usually used for the sense of removing something from a list, text, etc. >

Is that the meaning in "stricken with fever"? <<

No -- "stricken with fever" is a third meaning (as in "suffering from fever")