Worchestershire

Lazar   Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:50 pm GMT
Yep, I always pronounce "the Berkshires" as [D@ "b3`kSI@`z] or "the burk-sheers", but I always pronounce "New Hampshire" as [nu "h{mpS@`] or "noo hampshur".
Uriel   Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:59 pm GMT
Silly boy! Everyone knows it's really "noo 'ampshah"! ;)

Just kidding. Live Free Or Die!
jono   Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
As I live in Worcester (UK), born and bred, I pronouce it HOME! :-)

Joking aside. Locally we pronounce it Woos-ter and Woos-ter-sher respectively. According to a local history documents it has been called Uueogorna (vii cent.); Weogorna ceastre (ix cent.); Wirccester (xi and xii cent.); Wigornia (xii to xvii cent.). If my memory serves me correctly the Roman name for the city was actually Vertis.

By the way Uriel. Shire is always pronouced like the horse when not prefixed by a town name. Have you never read Tolkein? A Shire is simply an administrative area. In times gone by they were prosided over by a "Shire Reeve" which later became "Sherrif".
Uriel   Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
I did know that. Of course, there are no "shires" in the US so I really have little occasion to use the word unless I'm talking about the horse! (One of my favorite breeds since I was a kid, by the way.)

My dad lived for a couple of years in Huntingdonshire (that's just too many suffixes tacked together for me!) and was always careful to say "shur". Also had to learn to buy things by the gram, which I never was able to wrap my head around, but that's a different thread. ;) The Z at the end of our last name was also a different problem ... one that caused tons of confusion until he learned to call it a "zed" instead of a "zee".

By the way, am I right in understanding that the UK has no sheriffs anymore, and is faintly amused that they are still common in the US? (We always have county sheriffs. Only county. City cops are never sheriffs.)
Pub Lunch   Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
When I was in the US I had an absolute nightmare ordering 'TER-MAR-TERS' with my salad. After about the tenth attempt the bloke finally cottoned on and said "oh you want TOE-MAY-TOES". I suppose I could have said "those red vegetable/fruit things that they make tomato sauce out of" to speed things up, but it was too funny - bless his cotton socks.

For the record, I say WOOS-TER-SHA for some reason (this is the 'plummy'or RP pronunciation I think) whereas everyone else in my area pronounces it WOOS-TER-SHEAR. Same with Berkshire, I say BARK-SHA but most say BARK-SHEAR.

I work with many Americans and I have heard the pronunciation WAR-CHESTER-SHIRE a few times!!! All Americans, to my knowledge Berkshire as it is spelt - BERK-SHIRE.
Pub Lunch   Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
That should read as "All Americans, to my knowledge pronounce Berkshire as it is spelt - Berk-shire".
Damian in London E14   Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 pm GMT
Jono:

Worcester.........the Faithful City is it not? :-)
King Charles II fled from Worcester and hid up an apple tree. You couldn't make it up could you? The tree at Boscobel is still there apparently even though it's been hit by lightning a few times since 1651.

Lovely view of the Malvern Hills from Worcester Nice looking racecourse not far from the railway lines and bridge - like the New Road Worcestershire County Cricket Club ground it often becomes a lake when the Severn overflows - like recently when Upton on Severn became Upton under Severn and Tewkesbury became an island
Foregate Street train station
Shrub Hill train station (why do you need two train stations?)
Powick bridge - old and new
The Commandery museum Lowesmoor
The magnificent towered Cathedral - last resting place of luminaries like King John (who lost all his jewels in The Wash and was the monarch of England who first set out the English Constitution through the Magna Carta in 1215) and also the once Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin who had to deal with the King Edward VIII affair with the American social climber and King Nicker Wallis Simpson c 1936
Street market in Angel Place...I loved that butchery/meat guy selling all kinds of stuff and yelling out from his shop on wheels...
....and a shopping street mysteriously called The Shambles! What's with that then? :-) How did it get that name? It looked anything but a shambles to me....the shops are cool. Friar Street is nice. And a pub called The Ketch - easy to get away from....M5 close by.

Worcester and the River Severn. Nice. Does the Bore reach up to there or does it stop short at Gloucester? I'd love to see it. Seconfd biggest in the world. The biggie for this year has already happened apparently.

I'm getting to know more about England than I do about Scotland now!

Cheers
Damian in London E14   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
I know this about England as well....Huntingdonshire. It no longer exists! It was swallowed up by Cambridgeshire years ago - greedy old Cambs.! They should regurgitate it so that it can take its proud place again on the map of England, like the even tinier Rutland was after Leicestershire first swallowed up little old Rutland but was forced to spit it out again in local government reorganisation. Rutland is once more a county in its own right even though its population is not much bigger than the average Scottish (or English, I suppose) small country town.

Bring back Huntingdonshire!! Oliver Cromwell was a son of Hunts. - born and bred in Brampton in 1599, not far from Huntingdon town itself.
A recent UK Prime Minister John Major was the MP (Member of Parliament) for Huntingdonshire....one of the safest Tory (Conservative) parliamentary seats in the whole of the UK. They don't count Conservative votes there - they simply weigh them. :-)
Damian in E14   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
Tom-ah-toes /tom-may-toes are actually fruit are they not? Anyone fancy a tomato crumble with custard? eek!
Damian in London E14   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:35 pm GMT
Sheriffs - in Scotland they certainly exist in a legal capacity - they are judges and preside over Sherrif Courts as they are known, as opposed to the higher level Supreme Courts. Just one of the differences between Scotland and (jointly) England and Wales in legal and constitutional terms.

I believe that England and Wales also have beings who are called High Sheriffs of all counties - apparently it's mostly ceremonial and is in effect a chief executive representing the Crown in each individual county...such as the High Sheriff of WOOS-tuh-shuh or BARK-shuh or LES-tuh-shuh or GLOS-tuh-shuh or CHESH-uh and all the other -shuhs across the land.
Uriel   Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 am GMT
Here we just give them a dusty old car and a badge. They probably have to supply their own guns. ;)