how to pronounce IRON?

Milton   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:02 pm GMT
is it [ajr.@n] (Ire on) or [aj.@rn] (I earn)

thanks
Guest   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm GMT
*I* pronounce it 'I earn' or 'eye yearn', but I have heard it pronounced 'ajr.@n' especially by speakers of British dialects
Milton   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm GMT
does it rhyme with SIREN or not?
Guest   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
I do not rhyme it with SIREN, although that is a pronunciation (dialectal).

I usually associate the pronunciation rhyming with SIREN as either British dialectal OR American Appalachian/American Old West (pioneer)

Iron rhyming with SIREN sounds quaint to me. I would not recommend you pronounce it that way.
Matt   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
I always pronounce it as "ajr.@n", but I speak British, so that's probably why.
Guest   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:38 pm GMT
Iron like the liron in Ziron
Lazar   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
I pronounce "iron" as ["aI@`n], and for me it doesn't rhyme with "siren" ["saIr\@n]. I wasn't aware that anyone pronounced "iron" as ["aIr\@n]; the Cambridge Online Dictionary only lists ["aI@n] for British English.
Guest   Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
from wikipedia

''The process has shaped many English words historically. Bird in English was once bryd, run was once irnan, horse was hros, wasp is also recorded as wæps and hasp, hæps. The discrepancy between the spelling of iron and the usual pronunciation is the result of metathesis. ''
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metathesis_%28linguistics%29#Metathesis_in_English
Jérémy   Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
I say as I learnt, that is, like "I" + "an". That's British.
M56   Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
As "ion".
Gabriel   Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
LPD gives /"aI@n/ for ION and notes that in RP it is occasionally /"aIQn/ especifically to avoid confusion with IRON (for which it has /"aI@n/ as the only RP possibility).
M56   Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
<Really? For me, 'ion' is ["AI%Q:n], which isn't equivalent to a non-rhotic pronunciation of 'iron'.
Another word like this for me is 'environment' [m="vAI@`~m1~?] >

There's a world of pron out there, Josh.
Buddhaheart   Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:49 am GMT
I pronounce the ‘i’ in ‘iron’ as in Ivan, the 2nd syllable with the schwa @’ in front of ‘rn’, i.e. ‘@rn’. I heard some people utter the 2nd syllable as ‘ron’ with the vowel ‘o’ as that in ‘or’.

I pronounce the 2nd syllable of ‘siren’ with the reduced sound [r@n] and therefore it doesn’t seem to rhyme with ‘iron’.
Travis   Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:22 am GMT
I pronounce "iron" as ["@:I~R~=:n]. In contrast, I pronounce "siren" as ["s@:IR1~:n].
Guest 224   Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:22 am GMT
I was talking on the phone with one of my friends just today and he pronounced "iron" like "siren" and I was totally amused by it. He's not a native speaker of English--he's a native German speaker.

I thought it was just ignorance on his part that he pronounced it like "siren" but I guess it's because he learned English in Germany and of course, they teach British English in Germany.

He pronounced "towel" weirdly today, too. He pronounced it with two distinct syllables with the second syllable not as a schwa, but with the e-sound in GenAm "leg." Does anyone else pronounce towel like that?