"She's a grammar whore"

Monique   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:39 pm GMT
What does that mean? An English teacher gone bad?! I have trouble understanding American idioms!
Skippy   Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:57 am GMT
lol I'm wearing a t-shirt right now that says "Good Grammar is Hot" so I'm gonna assume that that means she finds good grammar attractive too.
furrykef   Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:07 am GMT
"A _____ whore" is a common American idiom (as well as a common internet idiom), and can be applied to men just as easily as to women. The most common form is probably "attention whore", referring to somebody who craves attention all the time. My understanding is that the implication is that they can't get enough.

The phrase "grammar whore" is interesting because it doesn't quite fit the same pattern: it doesn't make sense to crave grammar the way that one can crave attention. Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to be an unnatural use of the idiom. It just means somebody who's obsessed with grammar.

- Kef
Milton   Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:58 am GMT
grammar whore or grammar nazi

People who like saying It is she instead of It's her
or I wish she were here instead of I wish she was here ;)
Humble   Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:31 am GMT
I say, in some contexts it could be just a derogatory expression about an unpleasant lady teaching grammar, couldn't it?
Jasper   Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
A "grammar whore" is a person who so insists on perfect grammar that she gets on everybody's nerves. This is a person who'd correct your grammar after you'd spoken.

(I've heard of a "cell phone 'ho" used the same way--a woman whose cell phone is glued to her ear, no matter where she is; you see these women endangering lives all the time while driving. These people drive me batty. I wonder if they have sex while talking on their cell phones?)
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:50 am GMT
So how do you call a person who is obsessed with eating? A fat whore???
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:52 am GMT
No, a "carbs whore"
Franco   Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:56 am GMT
Is a man liking prostitutes a "whore whore"? Does it sound natural?