"itch"

Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:04 pm GMT
I've heard of people saying that the "t" is silent in words like "hitch", "itch", "glitch" etc. But in reality, the "t" is pronounced. There's a "t" sound before "ch" sound. I can pronounce those words without that "t" sound and they just sound odd, unlike how they are ever actually pronounced. Likewise "beach" and is actually pronounced as though it were spelled "beatch", there's a "t" sound before the "ch".
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 pm GMT
Okay first say "beat", then say "beach". Doesn't "beach" sound like "beat" with a "ch" sound added?
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:16 pm GMT
"beach" is actually pronounce "beatch", Josh Lalonde. I wish I can give a recording with both "beach"'s actually pronunciation, and how it would sound if there weren't a "t" sound before the affricate "ch" sound to prove it, but I don't have a microphone.
Skippy   Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:51 pm GMT
"ch" in English is pronounced [tS] so saying that "beach" is actually pronounced "beatch" is incorrect.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
<<I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I am a native speaker, while you don't seem to be. The Oxford English Dictionary agrees with me, as does every dictionary listed on www.dictionary.com .>>

I am a native speaker. I sure wish I had a microphone, as "beach" without the "t" sounds wrong and unlike how any native speaker would pronounce the word. And no, the dictionaries are wrong. They are far from correct when they give pronunciation details, as for instance, they think "thought" and "corn" have the same vowel sound, as do "set" and "strength" which is certainly not the case. The fact is that all words that end in "ch" actually have a "t" sound before the "ch" even though orthography doesn't always represent it, though it often does e.g. "pitch", "patch", "latch", "fetch" etc.