@Pos & Friends

furrykef   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:38 pm GMT
Oh, I forgot something in my post. Gwest, you made your post in response to this comment of mine:

<< Although Josh and I both give the benefit of the doubt in this matter, it's hard to deny that the behavior of M56, etc. exhibits the characteristics of sock puppetry. >>

You denounced this as trollery. If you think it is trolling, you do not know what the characteristics of sock puppetry are. Several people who agree with each other always post in the same threads, always on the same side, posting from the same IP address... if that isn't characteristic of sock puppetry, what is? That is not a rhetorical question: I really want to know what other characteristics there are. I don't think there are any.

But I stress that "having the characteristics of sock puppetry" and "being a sock puppet" are two different things. "X displays the characteristics of sock puppetry, therefore X is a sock puppet" is a logical fallacy, so I don't jump to that conclusion. I have always given M56 the benefit of the doubt in this matter, and I will continue to do so. And, I repeat, *I don't even care if they are sock puppets*. This is what I mean by reading things that aren't actually there: I am not attacking M56/Pos/etc., nor am I saying that they are sock puppets, and yet you somehow read some kind of attack into this. I was simply stating that the behavior is characteristic of sock puppetry -- again, not that it *is* sock puppetry -- and the only reason I said this in the first place was to answer the question, "Which boards ban people for sharing the same IP?" What answer was I supposed to give? Jeez.

And M56, I missed your post here:

<< Don't get yourself banned, Gwest. Not on my account. My plan is to ignore such types as Kef when they're out for "revenge". Let it go. >>

Sigh. I am not out for revenge; I am in fact defending you more than I am attacking you. Please do not be paranoid.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
I don't see how anybody on any forum can make "professional" comments.
furrykef   Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
Well, they can make professionally-informed comments, for instance, by being a linguist, which I readily admit I am not. But that's hardly a requirement for posting, or for getting into involved discussions. I guess my fault there is that I might give the false impression that I know more than I actually do. That's never my intention, but it does happen...

- Kef
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
Well, you can only give the false impression that you know more than you do to someone who knows even less than you, so this wouldn't be your fault. Or your problem.
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:16 pm GMT
Anyway, I believe that even professionals disagree big time on issues, so...
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
<Oh really? Do you mean to say that Kef is colluding with the board staff to ban y'all? For what? For showing the light of learning language by asking repeated questions about the usage of "used to"? And they're part of some great conspiracy to keep it down? >

As usual, you are lost. Not with the discussion at hand. Just a trouble- causer. A troll.
Guest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
<My simple question is that how these people seem to have the same writing style even if we assume that they are different people. >

How is it that you have the same writing style as 1,000 other nonnatives who cannot use the language?
Gwest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
<And yes, Josh is a bold moderator who is not willing to bog down with all of this forum etiquettes that are prevalent on other forums. >

Strange, you demand etiquette at the same time as criticising it.
Gwest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:52 pm GMT
<An ordinary poster on this forum. >

You could have fooled me.
Gwest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
<and Josh isn't a troll or he wouldn't be a moderator.>

What a naive statement.

<You see a person who wants to get rid of the "competition" because you're *reading things into my posts that aren't there*.>

And you believe that!

<Well, they can make professionally-informed comments, for instance, by being a linguist, which I readily admit I am not. >

I don't think we needed that !coming out". It's obvious that you just mouth off about usage.
furrykef   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
<< You could have fooled me. >>

Another empty comeback. Are you going to debate with me, or are you just going to make accusations and fail to back them up?

<<<<and Josh isn't a troll or he wouldn't be a moderator. >>>>

<< What a naive statement. >>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a moderator's duties to not incite flame wars. And I don't see Josh inciting any.

<<<< <You see a person who wants to get rid of the "competition" because you're *reading things into my posts that aren't there*. >>>>

<< And you believe that! >>

I refer you to my previous comment about empty comebacks.

<< I don't think we needed that !coming out". It's obvious that you just mouth off about usage. >>

That's irrelevant right now.

- Kef
Gwest   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
<Are you going to debate with me, or are you just going to make accusations and fail to back them up? >

Be sure, Kef, if I debate, you'll know what hit you. I may get banned for what I would say . You, on the other hand, are safe because you kiss Josh's ass.
furrykef   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
I kiss Josh's ass? I'm not exactly satisfied with the moderation here either, though I have no quarrel with Josh in particular, nor do I have any problem with this particular decision of his.

Also, I don't think anybody ever gets banned on this forum. If they did, the "Spanish vs. French" wars that happen on the Language forum would have ended long ago. About the worst that could happen is your post will get deleted.

So if that's what you want to do, you might as well give me your best shot.

- Kef
Travis   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
With the way that all of you, who are supposedly separate individuals, are all together attacking Kef, accusing him of trolling even though it is most clearly you guys who are actually trolling, just what reason do we have to *not* believe that you guys are a bunch of sock puppets?
M56   Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
Gwest, forget it, the bunch of pals here will win in the end. When a forum is controlled by a clique such as you have here, there's no justice. Just go on posting language questions. See if they can keep up.