Chicago vs San Francisco???

K. T.   Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:48 am GMT
I suggest Canada.
Milton   Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 am GMT
''California IS a "blue" state -- with a "red" governor. Which makes it a lot like most other putatively "red" or "blue" states -- a mishmash.''

Well, NorCal is very liberal (except for some remote rural Nevada-wannabe areas such as Redding which is very conservative) while SoCal is split between moderate liberals and moderate-to-extreme conservatives (Bakersfield being one of the least liberal cities in the USA). Here is the list of liberal and conservative cities in the USA: http://votingresearch.org/USAliberalcities.doc

SoCal cities tend to be more conservative than liberal...
for example
68 Long Beach California
69 Sacramento California

Sacramento is conservative by NorCal standards while LongBeach is liberal by SoCal standards, yet they share the same position on that list.
Uriel   Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:44 am GMT
Indeed. It's a big state, with plenty of variation.

<<I live in Chicago and Illinois is also a blue state. Yes we do have a somewhat distinct accent, but it is closer to general american than, say new york, boston, or the south. Instead of saying "this, that, there" we say "dis, dat, dere" Just small things like that.>>

Who could forget "da Bearss"? ;)
Travis   Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:11 am GMT
>>Indeed. It's a big state, with plenty of variation.

<<I live in Chicago and Illinois is also a blue state. Yes we do have a somewhat distinct accent, but it is closer to general american than, say new york, boston, or the south. Instead of saying "this, that, there" we say "dis, dat, dere" Just small things like that.>>

Who could forget "da Bearss"? ;)<<

We speak like that up here in southeastern Wisconsin as well. Those sorts of things are likely just part of being part of the German substratum zone in the Upper Midwest.

On that note, though, I myself don't really notice just how far the dialect here is from General American unless I hear it alongside national media content that is in something close(r) to General American. I remember hearing them interview some people from Kenosha on Food Network, where the Food Network spoke something not too far from GA, and the pronunciation of the people from Kenosha *really* stuck out, sounding very different from General American. I also often get such a perception when I hear advertising on local media which is effectively "in dialect" alongside both local news or radio personality content which is more in localized General American and national content which is in something even closer to General American. I can normally pick out local commercials just from hearing a second or two of the individuals' speech, and even to myself in such a context they often sound very strongly accented. Due to this kind of thing, I think what you say about the dialect in Chicago may very well be more a matter of perception without any outside reference point than such really being close to General American.
Native Korean   Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:37 am GMT
You know what?
The funny thing is, my friend who's living in San Francisco strongly recommends me to go to Chicago!
While my cousin who's living in Chicago highly recommends me to go to San Francisco!

Is it because that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? =p

From what I've heard, San Francisco is a very exotic city in America, in contrast, Chicago is a typical American metropolitan city with lots of skyscrapers.
I used to like crazy hectic big city atmosphere.
(Van Couver was sooooo boring for me!)

I'm leaning towards Chicago a bit more.
I have to make my final decision by this Friday.
Maybe I need a revelation from God.
Travis   Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:04 am GMT
I would say that the dialect in San Francisco is much closer to General American than that in Chicago myself. That is largely because that in San Francisco is typically a more conservative Californian dialect that is not all too different from General American, while that in Chicago is a strongly Northern Cities Vowel Shift-influenced Upper Midwestern dialect with significant substratum features which is much further from General American.
Guest   Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 am GMT
''That is largely because that in San Francisco is typically a more conservative Californian dialect that is not all too different from General American, while that in Chicago is a strongly Northern Cities Vowel''

that's true. even the Cot Caught merger is a recent innovation in SF ;0)
old people (70y.olds, 80y.olds) don't have it...Listen to Clint Eastwood [born in SF], he's not merged.
K. T.   Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
Maybe I need a revelation from God. -NK

No kidding.
Damian in London SW15   Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
***I have to make my final decision by this Friday.
Maybe I need a revelation from God***

I hear that God is very busy with so much going on in this world and he is in no mood to hand down revelations at the minute.........why not simply toss a coin or do the eeny meeny miney mo thingy - heads Chicago, tails it's Frisco? With me it would be no contest whatsoever - coming as I do from a teeny weeny maritime country where no single part of it is more than 75 miles from the tidal waters of the sea it wouldn't be The Windy City. Or should I say ocean? Americans never seem to say "the sea" do they? It's always "the ocean" - am I right?
K. T.   Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
Since NK has revealed that both his cousin and his friend have suggested that he go to other cities, I think he should consider that-barring any revelation from God, that is.
Uriel   Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:36 am GMT
Of course we say "the sea", Damian -- do we not spread "from sea to shining sea"? Does Sally not sell her seashells by the seashore? ;)

"Ocean" sounds so much bigger, though, and you know what size queens we Americans are.... :P

San Francisco has skyscrapers, too, Native Korean -- the Transamerica Building was one of the first ones I ever learned to place by sight.

http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/pixel_vision/images/skyline.jpg

(The Transamerica Building is the pointy one. Can't miss it!)

http://p.vtourist.com/2437303-Skyline-Chicago.jpg

(Chicago from the lake shore)
Guest   Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:56 am GMT
What if God revealed Dubai instead of those two cities, would you go there? NK -- another twist to your story. ;)

http://www.dubai-fotos.de/html/aerials.html
K. T.   Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
Oh la la. What does THAT message mean and HOW would that help him with English?
K. T.   Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
Guest, if you are German-speaking, why don't you come to the languages forum on this site. I'm always trying to recruit native speakers for that forum.
Guest   Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
San Francisco has a better climate no dubt and English too