"as to"

Guest   Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
Is this an outdated thing? I saw it being used as "hesitated as to whether." It's not necessary, is it?
Guest   Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:22 am GMT
I suppose we'd need to see the whole sentence, to see if "as to" is obsolete in this case. "As to" is still in common use in some cases. Here's a complete sentence containing a modern occurrence of "as to":

"1. Deed. The deed to be delivered to Purchaser shall be a Bargain and Sale Deed with Covenants against Grantor's Acts in proper statutory short form for record, duly executed and acknowledged, so as to convey to Purchaser fee simple title to the Premises, free of all encumbrances, except as otherwise herein stated." [notice the strange capitalization]
Travis   Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:59 am GMT
I normally use "as to" in formal language, and especially writing, where I may use it quite frequently at times. On the other hand, it is not found that much in everyday speech here.
Skippy   Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 am GMT
"As to" when typically only be found in formal language, as Travis said, but there may be instances where that is not the case.
Guest 224   Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:02 am GMT
"As to" is a phrase that I use in everyday speech--not just formal speech. And it's not because I'm "posh" or "stuck-up"; most people that I speak to actually say "as to" as well.

It's not outdated at all and it's not only for formal speech.
furrykef   Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:00 am GMT
I use it now and then, but if I were revising my own writing, I'd probably prefer to avoid it. It's one of those things that can usually be phrased more elegantly, but it's not a serious problem unless you overuse it.

- Kef