Black hair, blue hair....

Altec   Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
What is the term we use to call someone with black hair?

For example there's "blonde", "redhead", and "brunette" but what's the one we use for someone with black hair?

I also noticed "brunette" is used only for women. So, for guys with dark brown hair, do we call them dark brown-haired man?

And how about other hair colors? For example could I call someone "a blue-headed girl" or "blue-haired girl"?

Please help dispel my doubts. Thanks in advance.
lopal   Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm GMT
yellow: blonde
black: blacky? or negro hair
white: snowy
blue: sapphiry
green: jealousy

LOL
furrykef   Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
"Brunette" covers black hair as well. The form "brunet" has been used for men, but it's rare. I would usually just say "blue-haired", etc.

- Kef
Travis   Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
Note that "blue hair(s)" is used to specifically refer to older people here. The reason for such is because of a blue hair dye common used by such individuals to mask yellowing of hair associated with graying.
K. T.   Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:30 pm GMT
I say "black hair", not brunette for people with black hair. I say, "He has dark brown hair" for a man and "brunette" or the same thing for a woman.
Humble   Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
Please, what colour is this?
"She [...] had hair the colour of the very best sort of marmalade".
Here, marmalade can be any colour except black and grey.
Thanks.
beneficii   Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
"Blue-haired" to refer to someone with black hair? ????

Never heard of this. To me, "blue-haired" refers to someone with blue hair, usually because they dyed it blue.
K. T.   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 am GMT
Marmalade makes me think of orange marmalade. I think that would be a blonde or a redhead.
K. T.   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:35 am GMT
Some people have blue-black hair.
Humble   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:41 am GMT
Thank you, K.T.
Skippy   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 am GMT
I'm pretty sure someone with black hair that has a bluish tint to it has dyed it black... Because you can't really get 100% true "Black" with hair dye, you have to use blue- or purple-based dye that is just really dark...

I dyed my hair black and it was blue, but people with naturally black hair, I don't think, has the tint to it.
Uriel   Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:14 am GMT
Never heard the term "blue-haired" for black-haired people. Only for little old ladies who use that violet tint in their white hair.

Brunette covers black as well as brown, for men and for women. English doesn't have word genders quite like French, so many English-speakers wouldn't associate the -ette or -et endings with sex at all, and simply consider them spelling variants.