Teached?

Milton   Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:46 am GMT
Hi
I would like to know if TEACHED is used by some native speakers of US English or it is always a mistake...

Gwen Stefani used Teached in this interview ;) It's funny...See for yourself (00:54)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIYIcro1ws

Nothing against Gwen, she's adorable, and lovely accent.
Keyona in the U.S.   Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
TAUGHT is the only correct past tense of the word teach.
Guest   Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm GMT
In the movie School of Rock, the imposter substitute teacher referred to the school by saying "this is the best school I've ever teached at"
furrykef   Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 am GMT
I'm sure that was for humorous effect (indicating that he was ignorant enough that he shouldn't ever teach anybody anything). As for Gwen Stefani, she probably just wasn't thinking... using the wrong verb conjugation when not thinking isn't unheard of even for native speakers sometimes.

- Kef
Guest   Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:52 am GMT
No, I only use "taught" as the past tense. "Teached" sounds uneducated and weird to me.
furrykef   Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:09 am GMT
<< "Teached" sounds uneducated and weird to me. >>

I agree, but people can say weird things when they're not thinking. I'll never forget the episode of Wheel of Fortune I saw once where a (native-speaking) contestant asked for "a 'R'" instead of "an 'R'" It was so clearly enunciated, too. I'd ordinarily say that no native speaker would ever make that error, but obviously that isn't the case or it wouldn't have happened. (The contestant did quickly realize her error... it's not that she was uneducated and thought it was actually correct to say "a 'R'", but that she wasn't thinking.)

Not to mention, if people can make bizarre Freudian slips in speech, it doesn't seem impossible that they'd conjugate a verb wrongly from time to time. They might make such a mistake only once every few years at most, but if you listen to a lot of spontaneous speech, *somebody's* bound to do it sooner or later.

- Kef