may or might

O   Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:31 am GMT
I read about the difference between the two verbs but I'm still confused about when to use each. Can someone please explain me using examples? I feel like a stupid bimbo!
Skippy   Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:18 am GMT
Don't feel like a bimbo, native speakers never get this right... My understanding is that "may" is the present/future tense, while "might" is the past tense.

I think...
O   Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:27 am GMT
2 Skippy

So it's like "I might have gone to the movies, have there been a good film," but "I may go to the the movies, if there will be a good film?
Guest   Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 am GMT
<<So it's like "I might have gone to the movies, have there been a good film," but "I may go to the the movies, if there will be a good film? >>

I think you'd say:

"I might have gone to the movies, had there been a good film.",

and (probably)

"I may [or might] go to the movies, if there's a good film."

and also

"I may [or might] have gone to the movies back then, but I don't recall.

Note: If native speakers "never get this right", perhaps there's not really much difference, at least not anything that you can put your finger on?
Guest   Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 am GMT
There must be some grammar whores out there who can confirm this...
M56   Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:00 am GMT
<My understanding is that "may" is the present/future tense, while "might" is the past tense. >

And past tense can often be used for the future. So...?
Gwest   Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:55 am GMT
I might come tomorrow. (weaker possibility)
I may come tomorrow. (stronger possibility)

Problem is, many Americans reverse that use.

"I might/would have gone to the movies, had there been a good film."
"I may go to the the movies, if there's a good film."
zatsu   Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:55 am GMT
Ok, nothing like checking dictionary.com^^

MIGHT. (past tense of May):
1.a) Used to indicate a condition or state contrary to fact: "She might help if she knew the truth."

1.b) Used to indicate a possibility or probability that is weaker than may: "We might discover a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."

2) Used to express possibility or probability or permission in the past: "She told him yesterday he might not go on the trip."

3) Used to express a higher degree of deference or politeness than may, ought, or should: "Might I express my opinion?"
Skippy   Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
There ya go. Might is past tense and may is present/future.