what is "Electcuted"?

Cleveland   Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:52 pm GMT
Or something like this spelling, I checked my dictionary but didn't find anything.
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
How about electrocuted? What are you reading, btw?
Skippy   Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
"Electrocute" means to send electricity through someone... For example, when the fences got turned back on in the movie Jurassic Park, the little boy was electrocuted (he survived though).
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:29 pm GMT
Prisoners are electrocuted in the US when they have got a death sentence.
furrykef   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:27 pm GMT
Electrocution usually implies death, so Tim in Jurassic Park wasn't electrocuted because he survived. I would say he was "shocked" or "nearly electrocuted".

<< Prisoners are electrocuted in the US when they have got a death sentence. >>

Actually, that's very rare these days. Most prisoners on "death row" get a lethal injection. Only seven states allow execution by electrocution, and it's the primary means of execution in only one of them (Nebraska).

- Kef
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:34 pm GMT
Kef darling, I just gave an example of the word usage so that Cleveland could understand the meaning of the word. Gocha!
Guest   Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
They'd prob'ly say things like "elect'cuted" in Texas?
What movie are you watchin' Clev'land?
furrykef   Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:04 pm GMT
<< They'd prob'ly say things like "elect'cuted" in Texas? >>

I doubt that. I could imagine "electacute", but complete omission of the vowel is difficult to pronounce, whereas the purpose of elision is to make things easier to pronounce.

<< Kef darling, I just gave an example of the word usage so that Cleveland could understand the meaning of the word. >>

But that wasn't the meaning of the word. It was something close, but different. ;)

- Kef
Skippy   Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:07 pm GMT
I'll agree that "electrocuted" implies death, but I don't think it necessarily MEANS they died from it (at least not in the sense that "assassinated" means they were killed, etc.)

And actually Nebraska is the only state that still uses the electric chair (other states still have them as an option, but no inmate is going to choose the electric chair)... But since 1977 they've only put 3 people to death.
Rick Johnson   Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:39 pm GMT
I was under the impression that the word was coined in the late 19th Century from "electric" and "execution" in the US. A new term for a new invention i.e. the electric chair.

A pretty terrible way to die. Lethal injection is apparently no better as the chemicals used burn through your veins and are banned in some states for animal euthanasia as they are considered inhumane (if that's the correct word)...........on the positive side at least they only administer such substances to poor people!
furrykef   Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:49 pm GMT
<< I was under the impression that the word was coined in the late 19th Century from "electric" and "execution" in the US. >>

That's quite possible, but words also often change meaning over time.
Skippy   Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:56 am GMT
I checked etymonline.com and it did say that it is a combination of "electro" and "execute." "electro-execute" just doesn't have the same effect, I assume.