2007 pronunciation

Hoks   Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 pm GMT
Is the year "2007" pronounced as "two thousand seven" or "two thousand and seven"?
furrykef   Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:09 pm GMT
I prefer "two thousand seven", but many say "two thousand and seven". Either one works.
Travis   Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
I myself always say "two thousand and seven"; saying numbers like "two thousand seven" practically never occurs here.
Rodrigo   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
I usually say "two thousan'n seven" more or less joining the -and with and. But in formal speech I'd probably "two thousand and seven" Do you guys use the same way for the number when it doesn't refer to the year?
Lazar   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:16 pm GMT
As furrykef said, either one is okay. I say "two thousand seven."

<<saying numbers like "two thousand seven" practically never occurs here.>>

Well I think the same applies here, for numbers (as opposed to years). I would say the number 2007 as "two thousand and seven", but I treat the year differently.
Travis   Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
>>I usually say "two thousan'n seven" more or less joining the -and with and. But in formal speech I'd probably "two thousand and seven" Do you guys use the same way for the number when it doesn't refer to the year?<<

The thing is that I wrote it out separately as "and", but in reality such is also pronounced normally pronounced as [n=:] in everyday speech and even in most careful speech is still [1~:n] or [1~:].
Robb   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
I say "two thousand seven". When you say "twenty oh seven," you end up pronouncing two vowel sounds in succession (the "y" from twenty, and the "oh"). That's not a comfortable sort of phrasing in English, so we say "two thousand seven".
Skippy   Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:39 pm GMT
I say two thousand seven.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:21 pm GMT
<<I say "two thousand seven". When you say "twenty oh seven," you end up pronouncing two vowel sounds in succession (the "y" from twenty, and the "oh"). That's not a comfortable sort of phrasing in English, so we say "two thousand seven". >>

I guess this means htat we'll start saying "twenty ten" when we get to 2010?
Robb   Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
<<I guess this means htat we'll start saying "twenty ten" when we get to 2010?>>

Yes.
Rodrigo   Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:45 pm GMT
2010 is a debated issue and personally I haven't decided. My question is, how do you say 1010, 1020, 1037, etc?
Robb   Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 am GMT
<<2010 is a debated issue and personally I haven't decided. My question is, how do you say 1010, 1020, 1037, etc?>>

"ten ten", "ten twenty" and "ten thirty-seven". Likewise "1066" is "ten sixty-six".
Lazar   Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 am GMT
<<I say "two thousand seven". When you say "twenty oh seven," you end up pronouncing two vowel sounds in succession (the "y" from twenty, and the "oh"). That's not a comfortable sort of phrasing in English, so we say "two thousand seven".>>

An aversion to two vowels in succession? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. What about "nineteen ninety-eight"? Or "Cheerios"? No, I think phonological concerns have nothing to do with the popular preference for "two thousand" forms.

Some dialects have an aversion to having a non-high vowel followed by another vowel, in which case they use intrusive r, but I think hardly anyone would consider [i] followed by another vowel to be "uncomfortable" or awkward.
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:13 am GMT
Using the "one vowel" limit in years, after "twenty ten" I guess we'd have top go back to "two thousand eleven", then "twenty twelve", etc., up to "twenty seventeen", then "two thousand eighteen". :)