Iv been here for long, so tell me...

Your name   Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:10 pm GMT
Never heard anyone call themselves oriental. There are oriental shops, oriental cuisine, oriental stuff, but not oriental people from impression.
TomJimJack   Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:03 am GMT
To : Josh Lalonde.

Sir, you are a real moderator, a master of conduct. Congratulations and praises!!!
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:06 am GMT
For awhile, in the 1990s, for example, "Asian" was the term that was being touted as "PC", but now I hear "Asians" calling themselves "oriental" again. Watch for the trends.

Cleveland, you are on your way, but you need to tweak your accent a bit before you reach the top. Actually, I was impressed, I think your speech seems closer to that of a native than your writing does. I was only able to hear your file once, so I can only give you some brief impressions.

If you are open to honest commenting, read on. Remember it is only my opinion, not the judgment of God.

I think you need to work on clarity. Some of your words roll into other words and in the few areas where you need to work on a vowel or a consonant, this muffles your speech and makes it a little bit harder to understand.

Shadow, as Jasper often suggests.

Ask yourself this: "Am I coming up for air? Am I breathing, pausing in the places a native speaker would pause?"

Find an HONEST friend, a native speaker who will correct you because YOU (also a good friend) insist that you need this.

I think you can get "away" with your accent btw.

Best regards,
K. T.
Cleveland   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:32 am GMT
Thank you K. T.
like you said I really need it, I mean the native-level English, I think most orientals are doing tech jobs in the western countries, but my situation is little bit unique, im doing a investor relationship and marketing strategy job, it requires a lot of interpersonal skills, and the language skill is the most basic thing in all these skills, I really like this job and don't want to lose it, so I learn English everyday, even force myself watching history channels, entertainment channels, know more western history and stars, find out more about western food etc. Im now restudying everything like a little child >:)
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:20 am GMT
Well then, Cleveland, you are doing the right things. I'm glad you got the job.