Use of "Like"

Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:48 am GMT
I often hear native speakers using that word, not in the sense of "Similar to", but in a different way.
Here's an example.

Betty: I was like so pissed off when he insulted my cat.
Bob: Really? She's like the best cat in the world. Like.. how dare anyone insult her?
Betty: Whoever puts down your cat is like a moron.

I live in Canada, and I often hear such a usage of the word, especially among teenagers, and even among youthful adults.
The usage of "Like" in that manner isn't actually grammatical, but I feel that using that word like that makes you look more proficient in English.
In fact, I can rarely see non-native English speakers use that word in such a usage.
I want to know how you can use that word to the fullest.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:51 am GMT
I think it started with Valley Girl Speak...lol.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:53 am GMT
well like you can use the word like, but like you should know English well before you do that, so you like, wouldn't like look ridiculous.
perasy   Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:53 am GMT
Some English teachers seem to view non-native speakers using that word as a more proficient English user than the one not doing so, assuming that all their other English abilities are equal.
I lived in Canada for 10 years now, and I've never used that word.
I just feel awkward and uncertain in using that word in that manner. What would be the problem?
perasy   Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 am GMT
<<I think it started with Valley Girl Speak...lol. >>

K.T. are you serious? What is Valley Girl Speak?
I want to know about the true origin of such a usage of the word and how that usage became common today.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:04 am GMT
Yes, I am serious, perasy. Look at the link Josh provided. I actually remember when girls started using this in the 1980s.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:10 am GMT
Today boys use that too.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:26 am GMT
Yes, I know. I used this way of speaking for awhile, then decided it sounded juvenile.
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:27 am GMT
I read that one of the IVY league schools was trying to halt this way of speaking a few years ago.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:51 am GMT
I don't think it is seen as strange anymore. It's the new 'um'. Even educated people say this.
Milton   Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:55 am GMT
Is like in ''Like I care!'' (meaning I could care less) a Valley Girl thingy too?
Skippy   Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:00 pm GMT
I don't think it originated with the Valley Girls... Surely they're the ones that brought it into popular usage, but I don't think that's the origin. I'm pretty sure it's been around longer than just the 80s... And yes, I'm one of those annoying guys that says "like" all the time :-P
L.C   Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:00 pm GMT
I used to say the word "like" all the time but then someone told me I sound a bimbo -specially me being blonde nall. Anyhoo I cut it right out.
Guest   Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:16 pm GMT
My friend studies at UC Berkeley.

I asked him. How long has he been there?
He replied: Like two months.

Here the word "like" is acting as a filler (as a Valley Girl Speak) or does it mean "almost"? I am confused on this.
Skippy   Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
Like can be used to mean "almost," "about," or "around" in this sense of approximation... "I've been in Baton Rouge for like two months."

It's also used as a quotation marker: "And I was like 'what?' and she was like 'you know?' and i was like 'yeah, i guess.'"

It's got tons of uses...