"light a fire"

Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:31 pm GMT
Why do we talk about lighting a fire? After all, if there is already a fire, there's no need to light.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:33 pm GMT
I don't understand the question. Please, elaborate.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:36 pm GMT
If you light a candle, you set it on fire. However, there be no point in lighting a fire, as there already is fire. No one really lights fire as it's already there.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
Where is the fire (before lighting a fire)?
guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 pm GMT
because a "fire" is more than just the actual flame, or Fire in its generic sense. It can also mean a setting, like a bonfire, in which case you would have to light.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
If you take a lit match and put it up to a candle, then you're lighting a candle, if you take a lit match and put it up to a lit campfire then you're lighting a fire. There's no point in doing the latter, as there already is fire there.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
I'm still in a dark.
Seriously, I don't understand what do you want. How would you say "light a fire"?
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:32 pm GMT
<<I'm still in a dark.
Seriously, I don't understand what do you want. How would you say "light a fire"?>>

You "start a fire".

<<You don't put it at a lit campfire; you put the match on a pile of wood to start it burning.>>

Yeah exactly. A pile of wood is not a fire, hence you're not actually lighting a fire.
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:33 pm GMT
<<I'm still in a dark.>>

Was there a pun intended there?
Guest   Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm GMT
In other words, when you light something, you set it on fire. If you lit a trash can, you'd set the trash can on fire. You can't set fire itself on fire. The question is then, why do we say "light a fire" as a synonym for "start a fire"?
Guest   Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 am GMT
<<I'm still in a dark>>
No pun, just playing with words.

OK, why do we say light a candle and not start a fire on a candle?
Guest   Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:01 am GMT
Or better; set a candle on fire?