mutant

Gabriel   Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm GMT
A co-worker of mine got criticized a couple of days ago on his pronunciation of the word "mutant" as ["mju?n=t_}] (there's a "t" in "mutant", you know?). Now, I thought that in this environment the realization of /t/ as a glottal stop was common and acceptable. Our boss seems to feel very strongly against this pronunciation, labeling it as typical of Rochester. Any thoughts?
Skippy   Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Saying "there's a t in mutant, you know?" sounds like something you would hear from a rather posh Englishman, as in America his pronunciation would be typical, as it would be for many UK dialects as well... Maybe I'm wrong...
Travis   Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:28 am GMT
It is very normal to have a glottal stop in a medial position in "mutant" in North American English. On that note, I myself actually normally pronounce "mutant" with two glottal stops, that is, as ["mju?n=?], and such does not seem to a be a very unusual pronounciation of it at that.
Sho   Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:33 am GMT
On a related note, do you pronounce the word "sentence" with a glottal stop as well?

My roommate from Arizona pronounces it /sEn?ns/ or sometimes even /sE?ns?

Is it common in NA?
Skippy   Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:02 am GMT
Yeah, I'd say that's the typical Standard American pronunciation.
Sho   Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:16 pm GMT
Which one do you mean is the typical Standard American pronunciation? /sEn?ns/ or /sE?ns/?
Do you ever pronounce it without the first /n/?

Sho