chimpanzee

SpaceFlight   Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 pm GMT
How do you pronounce this? I say "chim PAN zee". Does anyone pronounce it "chim pan ZEE"? Dictionary.com lists both pronunciations.
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
I pronounce it "chim pan ZEE" and that's the only way I've ever heard.
K. T.   Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
I have only heard chim pan ZEE or chimp pan Zee (yes, with "p" twice)...

Is the other pronunciation "British" perhaps?
Travis B.   Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
I myself also have the pronunciation of ["tS_hI~mp:E{~:n"dzi:] or ["tS_hI~mp:E~:n"dzi:].
Travis   Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
Whoops, that is not supposed to be stressed on the first syllable.
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
So you call it a "chimPAINzee"? Did one of them hurt you or something?I
K. T.   Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
I think that would be "Chimp pains me."
Lazar   Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:02 am GMT
I say [%tS_hImp{n"zi:], with the stress on the last syllable. It's my impression that this pronunciation is more common.

<<Is the other pronunciation "British" perhaps?>>

No, I've sometimes heard the initial-stress pronunciation from Americans. (The Cambridge Online Dictionary, for what it's worth, lists only the ultimate-stress pronunciation, so I think that that's dominant on both sides of the Atlantic.)
Travis   Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:36 am GMT
>>So you call it a "chimPAINzee"? Did one of them hurt you or something?I<<

No. It is just that historical /{/ is commonly shifted to a diphthong such as [E_^{], [e_^{], [I_^{], or [E3_^] in more stressed positions and [E_o] or [E] in less stress positions for more progressive speakers of my dialect. And anyways, "pain" would imply a closing diphthong or something like [e] whereas the diphthongs that show up here are opening or centering diphthongs.
Uriel   Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
I've always said chimpanZEE, but you hear it both ways.
Brian   Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:08 am GMT
I say chimpanZEE. To me, chimPANzee sounds rather pretentious; don't know why.
Lo   Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:31 am GMT
I agree with Brian and I also have no idea why... I just picture a snobby scientist saying it like that.

I say it like /tSIm-p{n-"zi/ the stress is in the last syllable.
Woodman   Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
What about "employee"? I have "employEE" with stress on the last syllable. Nowadays however it seems like most people are saying "emPLOYee".
Woodman   Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
And "harass"? Surely that's "HARRass".
Lazar   Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:18 pm GMT
<<What about "employee"?>>

That word is variable for me, although I think my preference is for penultimate stress. In a sentence like "She's an employee", I think I might use ultimate stress; but in a phrase like "employee benefits", I would definitely use penultimate stress. Dictionary.com lists both pronunciations, as does the Cambridge Online Dictionary.

<<And "harass"? Surely that's "HARRass".>>

Both are found in the US, but I'm pretty sure that initial stress is predominant; whereas in Britain I think initial stress is predominant, maybe even exclusive. I pronounce it [h@"r\{s], but I do hear the initial-stress version from some Americans. (Two that come to mind are Candice Bergen and Keith Olbermann.)