Curious

K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
Darren was curious about how I could speak/know five languages without being "old" (whatever that means); I'm sure he'd be shocked to meet Stuart Jay Raj who is (I'm pretty sure) probably younger than I am. ( I keep writing Stuart Ray Raj by mistake, so I thought I'd correct that now.)

I have to think that there are other people (maybe even the person who started this thread) who are interested in languages other than the standard European ones we see hear often.

I'd love to hear Xie or others comment on his Cantonese or any other of the following languages. His blog is "Behind the Curtain" I think. He is also on the Language Geek site. Someone shared that Raj's Thai is quite good.

The languages:

Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Mon, Burmese, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Jawa, Bali, Sunda, Melayu, Tagalog and other languages from the Philippines, Gu Wen (古文), Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Hokien, Naxi and other Chinese dialects / regional languages, Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Pali and other Indic Languages, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Signed English, Auslan and other Sign Languages, NLP, ESP or Esperanto

I'd also like to remind other polyglots and language enthusiasts that there is a link on the Micheloud site "How to Learn any Language" to the FSI courses. They are free. It's like a gospel thing, almost too good to be true.

There are "exotic" (to me anyway) languages and the standard ones.

FSI is from the 1960s, but there are some gems.
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:43 pm GMT
we see hear often>we see here often
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 pm GMT
Who is fRanco?
Wer ist Franco?
Qui est Franco?
quién es Franco?
Quem é Franco?
kto Franco?
Ki Franco?
Chi è Franco?
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
http://stujay.blogspot.com/

Raj's address is above.
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
Wer is Sylvia?

Franco posts here sometimes. His "twin" Ocnarf also posts here. He usually posts in romaji, Spanish or Russian and frequently alludes to Freud.
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:56 pm GMT
Sorry, that should be "Wer ist Sylvia?"
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
Romaji??
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:07 pm GMT
Romaji is a way of writing Japanese with the roman/latin alphabet.
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:09 pm GMT
Thanks a lot! I did not know that
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
Guest,

You're welcome. No problem.

Why don't you put your languages in the "form" here, if you are interested in languages?
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
I have already put them! :-)

Anyway I'm going to learn Modern Greek tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to study the alphabet first
Guest   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:28 pm GMT
Mallorqui should put his languages in the "form"!
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:32 pm GMT
I agree.
K. T.   Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
Anyway I'm going to learn Modern Greek tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to study the alphabet first._Guest

That's great. I've been tempted to learn Greek a few times. I wish you the best.
Xie   Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:19 am GMT
>>
I'd love to hear Xie or others comment on his Cantonese or any other of the following languages. His blog is "Behind the Curtain" I think. He is also on the Language Geek site. Someone shared that Raj's Thai is quite good.

Well, yes, in his blog, Raj has talked about the similarities of Cantonese, Vietnamese and generic Chinese. And yes, he does know something about the use of languages at my place. Then, has he tried to speak all those languages in public? I'm curious about his spoken command of those...