Spanish language dubbings

martillo   Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:44 am GMT
Why do Spanish and Latin Americans create different versions of movie dubbings?

I thought Spanish dialects are interintelligible.
furrykef   Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 am GMT
They're mutually intelligible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's *easy* to understand each other. There are dialects of British English that would probably be mostly incomprehensible to me, even though I'm a native US speaker. Yet I would have no problem conversing with the same people in a written medium such as e-mail.

That doesn't fully explain it, though, because Spaniards often do watch movies from Mexico and vice versa, etc. My guess is that, on top of that, it's just more profitable to make multiple dubs. I mean, if I had a movie dubbed into English with a British dub and an American dub, all else being equal, I'll take the American dub. Likewise, a Brit would probably take the British dub. Making a new dub is pretty cheap, so it only needs to make a little return on its investment to be profitable.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:30 am GMT
Es que a los latinos no nos gusta el acento español... las películas de doblaje español se convierten en comedias.
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:50 pm GMT
Solo basta oir hablar un español para cagarse de la risa, chistes:

Iba un español en un taxi en Toronto directo a tomar el avion a Galicia y el taxista le pregunta:
-¿Es usted español?
Y Venancio responde:
- Si, ¿por que?
- Le voy a contar una adivinanza, ¿quien es el hijo de mi madre que no es mi hermano?
Y Venanacio responde: -No se...
- Pues yo- Contesta el taxista.
Ya en Galicia, Venancio visita a Joselo y le dice:
- Tio que me han contado una adivinanza buenisima en Canada. ¿Quien es el hijo de mi madre que no es mi hermano?
- Pues tu- Responde inteligentemente Joselo .
- ¡¡No coño!! Un taxista en Canada.
Gabriel   Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:05 pm GMT
<<Es que a los latinos no nos gusta el acento español... las películas de doblaje español se convierten en comedias>>

Speak for yourself. I rather like peninsular accents. It is true, though, that all the movies I saw on TV as a child (in the dark years before cable TV) were dubbed in those bland generic Latin American accents. Somehow those became engraved into my mind as the "normal" speech for movies (NB: not "normal everyday speech"). So it does sound odd to hear the Terminator or Luke Skywalker with peninsular accents.
On the other hand, it's perfectly natural to hear those accents in Spanish movies or in any movie that features characters who are supposed to be from Spain, and that does not make things inherently funny, as the guest above suggests.
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:17 pm GMT
It happens the same to me with the Mexican accent, it sounds as if they were comedy's characters.
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
lol, Mexican spanish is neutral and you know it, but obviously you won't admit it, anyways I'm not the one who said that he disliked the Spaniard accent.
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm GMT
I can assure you that Mexican Spanish does not sound neutral to Spaniard's ears , and that is a reason enough for picture production companies to dubb all the movies in Spaniard Spanish, despite this market is 45 millions people only.
Guest   Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
Spain dubbs everything that comes in to the Spaniard Spanish, which is fine it's logical that you want to watch movies, etc. with your own accent, but indeed Mexican Spanish is the most neutral, even though most Latinos deny it because they like to think that Mexicans speak like Speedy Gosalez, otherwise it wouldn't be funny.
Guest   Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:04 am GMT
Mexican Spanish is seen in Spain as having a very strong accent. For example, humourists immitate it acting as mexican soap opera's characters.
K. T.   Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:55 am GMT
I'm against dubbing. Period. LOL!

I'll bet I'm not the only one who hates dubbed movies, interviews or those interviews where someone starts in one language and before you hear more than a sentence, some "interpreter" is talking over that person's voice. I'm like, "Shut up! I want to hear what he has to say in his own voice, in his own way."
Gabriel   Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:58 pm GMT
Even more so when the interpreter is clearly incompetent. I remember being utterly frustrated at having to watch live broadcasts of events like the Oscars with those clowns ruining it for everyone. They actually spoke over Billy Crystal's monologues struggling to do simultaneous translation, only to give up halfway through their incomprehensible mumbling and say something like "he just made a local joke". They ruined the joke for those who understood English and they didn't add an iota for those who didn't. Complete morons.
Gabriel   Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
And while we're on the subject, let me also say that not only is dubbing annoying, sometimes it's insulting. Why do I need a voiceover reading the title of the movie/TV series off the screen and the names of the actors, when such information is completely absent in the original? Do they simply assume that most viewers will not be able to read?
Guest   Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Para que nadie se enfade he aquí una gran canción en inglés con subtitulos en español. Espero que os encante tanto como a mi.
SUEÑO IMPOSIBLE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HR1SYHGc6c

This is not dubbing , just a spanish version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6xuOC13_os

Y será este mundo mejor
porque yo, sin rendirme jamás,
busqué, en mi sueño imposible
poder una estrella alcanzar
Rodrigo   Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:07 pm GMT
Besides accents it's also because we use different expressions. My mom comments thatshe saw a Jame's Bond moviein Spain and when they yelled "Atajadle, atajadle!" she laughed out loud. Also expressions like coger, which means 'to grab' in many countries but also 'to have sex with' in others. But I do agree dubbing should be severely punished, especially when they dub in English over a Mexican or an Argentinian, and then they dub over the English version again in Spanish. You can distinguish THREE different voices in two languages at the same time!