So what the atmosphere like in Quebec?

mac   Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am GMT
I saw this in the news:

Quebec frets about its French language, culture
Reuters - Tue Oct 30, 4:37 PM ET

MONTREAL (Reuters) - Quebec is fretting about the future of its dominant French language and culture in a debate that some people worry has veered into a public backlash against minorities, immigrants and non-Francophones.

I'm not starting an anti-French thread. I'm curious about this though. I've always known about French-dominate Quebec and that they take their language and cultural connections seriously. But is tension rising over this topic? I know Canada has a high immigration rate, but could demographic changes actually affect French in Quebec?

No mindless French bashing please. I want to talk about attitudes and trends in Quebec concerning the language.
mac   Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:34 am GMT
After seeing Antoine's passionate response, I have to add this question: In reality, how strong is move for independence in Quebec?
K. T.   Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:40 am GMT
There's a small town that banned stoning women to death last year (I'm sure it was a real problem before; and not covered by criminal law)-Josh

Was this related to Islamic law? If so, I don't think this is just a language issue, but a legal and cultural one as well.
Guest   Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:35 am GMT
Just my 2 cents: It's sad that in this day in age that people still do barbaric things like that. That kind of law is inhumane and dominating. It should be abolished in the modern world, but people will continue to use it as harsh means to control others, which is all it is. When people seem to get the idea that they can bring it over here to western countries, it makes me sick.
curious g   Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:33 pm GMT
Hello Mac...

I literally just walked in the door from my most recent trip to Montreal. I work for a company that has offices there and I fly to Montreal almost on a monthly basis now.

I think what you found was a strong conservative story about the rising immigration into Quebec. I know by walking in the streets that there is a rising anti-immigrant attitude that is growing stronger. With Canada's relaxed immigration policy, not to mention its recent economic spring, people across the globe have now set their sights on Canada for a better life.

The problem is that people like to migrate into the bigger cities seeking employment. Sadly, Quebec's major cities are Montreal and Quebec City herself...two cities that are fighting to keep their French identity and can be rather exclusive about it. It is hard enough for them to keep their French language and culture strong in English based Canada, however, now they are dealing with a rising number of non-conformist minority groups such as Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and Asian groups.

I can't speak much for Quebec City herself, but I have a friend there and from his description, it seems to be about the same thing I am seeing in Montreal. Part of Canada's recent economic progress has been on the back of cheap labor from minority groups...however; as it happens in all parts of the world...you can't bring these people in and not expect them to have an affect of things. They are not French minded, they don't speak French, and they don't want to conform.

I always laugh when I go to our offices in Montreal because I pass this huge sign that says: "Montreal, The Most Welcoming Multi-Cultural City In Canada!" And then in little red letters underneath it says: "As long as you can speak French." LOL ;0)
Xie   Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
How non-conformist? That just sounds bizarre, and, well, is worth a lot of debates. Many relatives of mine, especially elderly ones, always fail to get integrated upon immigration, even after decades, for very simple reasons. Typically, most of them are now in Anglophone countries (with very distant ones in Canada), and many of them simply hide themselves in china towns and never go out. They don't learn to drive nor to speak English, and they are done!

Interestingly, perhaps like the common belief among many of people you would know, my senior relatives often say "fine, when our children / the children of relative X goes to Australia/the UK/the US/anything, they would pick up English/anything very quickly just in a few years..." and "they would lose Chinese gradually", without ever thinking about trying to make those children, i.e. my cousins, to be bilingual. At best, well, they are less cruel than those who give up their (culturally) native languages immediately upon immigration.
curious g   Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:44 pm GMT
Xie...

But that's just my point. It is typical for Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and Asian people to gather and section off little parts of cities such as "China Towns." There is nothing wrong with this, and no once can question that there is safety in numbers. But just like some of your elders, they refuse to integrate into the larger community. And given the correct circumstances, these small isolated communities can grow into very large numbers which can ultimately affect the surrounding city.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, however, in a city like Montreal, where the majority of the people continue to vote to keep its French heritage and language...these communities pose a very serious threat to them.

And that is where the article was going. That some people in Quebec feel threatened.
mac   Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:46 am GMT
Thanks for the input curious g. I personally believe that if someone settles in another country, they don't have to give up their home culture and languge of course, but they should pay respect to the country they choose to move to and try to adapt to that country's language and customs as much as they can.

If they want to move into a Chinatown, Arab/Muslim town, or Hispanic town, that's fine. But they shouldn't isolate themselves or alienate the rest of the native/other population. This is especially important in the US and Canada, who are by nature more or less a mixed, diverse co-existing community. And even more important in Europe, where native ethnic groups and cultures have been rooted for many more years.
curious g   Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:18 pm GMT
Guest,

This thread has nothing negative about the French language or culture.
I suggest you read through it again.

Xie,

I agree with you that no one should...or...has to give up their cultural identity. But people have to understand that there are places like Quebec who are trying to keep a specific identity going.
curious g   Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
Sorry...

I was responding to a comment made by a guest...and it looks like it was deleted.
Guest   Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm GMT
What do you mean non-sense Josh? There was no non-sense on what I posted. I Just wanted to make clarifications that despite the substantial number of non-French speaking immigrants in French Canada, the French language and culture manage to remain intact thanks to the intense patriotism of the Franco-Canadians.

Take note that I use the term French Canada instead of Quebec or Acadia so as not to antahonize the other linguistic groups of Canada. Surely you cannot call that as troll and provocative? It's still in the context of thsi topic.
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
French is very much alive and will continue to be spoken as a norm in French Canada. It's detractors will have a much hard time uprooting it from Canada because its speakers are so proud of their Gallic heritage.
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:28 pm GMT
No, they are the Quebequers who will have a hard time preserving the French language if many migrants decide to live in Quebec. It's well known that aside from Montreal, migrants are not welcome by the Quebequers because of the danger the represent to the preservation of French. Canada became a fully English colony after the French speakers were defeated. They were allowed to stay in Canada and speak French when they shouldnt so they must not be so arrogant and be more grateful to the English speakers.
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:21 pm GMT
To answer the original question:

Nitrogen 78.084%
Oxygen 20.946%
Argon 0.934%
Carbon dioxide 0.038%
Water vapor about 1%
Other 0.002%