Alsace

Guest   Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:42 pm GMT
How widespread is German in Alsatia? I don't understand why Germany does not promote German in this land with German blood. France will make dissapear Occitan easily, but a revival of Alsatian variety of German could be supported by a big country like Germany and France will be in difficult avoiding it.
OiL   Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:45 pm GMT
"Going back to the topic: the situation of French in Canada is weak. English is the dominant language in Canada and in important cities of Quebec too. French will not survive in the long term, or if it does, it will end up being a rural language spoken by farmers."
— Non.
La situation du Québec en Amérique du Nord est un paradoxe, une anomalie.
C'est comme si toute l'Europe parlait anglais et que seule la Norvège aurait une autre langue.
Mais cette anomalie est là pour rester.

"How widespread is German in Alsatia? I don't understand why Germany does not promote German in this land with German blood. France will make dissapear Occitan easily, but a revival of Alsatian variety of German could be supported by a big country like Germany and France will be in difficult avoiding it."

Ein echter Elsäßer ist einer, der zuhause seine alemannische Mundart spricht, und nichtsdestoweniger sich selbst für einen franz. Super-Patrioten hält. Frage mich nicht warum es so geht.
Clovis   Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:08 pm GMT
Contrairement à ce qu'un tas de personne semble penser ici les langues régionales en France n'ont pas disparu, c'est leur statut de langue maternelle qui s'est effacé au profit du français.

Il n'est pas interdit d'étudier sa langue régionale en France, il me serait tout à fait possible d'étudier l'occitan si je voulais, ou à un rennais d'apprendre le breton.

Casser du français est à la mode sur ce forum, et d'ailleurs les personnes qui s'acharnent le plus sont celles qui connaissent le moins la France.

Amicalement.
OïL   Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 pm GMT
"Casser du français est à la mode sur ce forum, et d'ailleurs les personnes qui s'acharnent le plus sont celles qui connaissent le moins la France. "

Je crois en fait qu'il y a un seul Mexicain ou Espagnol anti-français qui sévit ici (les messages provocateurs arrivent toujours en grappe, à 2 mm d'intervalle, signés Adolf, Ornella, voire en usurpant des identités).
Mais ce provocateur est une vraie plaie!
Il donne une triste image de la culture dont il se réclame.
K. T.   Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:36 pm GMT
Ein echter Elsäßer ist einer, der zuhause seine alemannische Mundart spricht, und nichtsdestoweniger sich selbst für einen franz. Super-Patrioten hält. Frage mich nicht warum es so geht.

Is it just by chance that both you and greg know both French and German?

This is what I get out of the above. Remember, I am not a professional translator.

A true Alsatian is one who speaks his Alemannic dialect at home, and nonetheless considers himself to be French and holds himself out to be a super Patriot. Don't ask me why.

Please correct me.
OïL   Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:04 pm GMT
@ K.T.:
Bingo!
Flawless translation.
Fehlerfreie Übersetzung.
Felfri översättning.
Foutloze vertaling.
Visiteur   Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:33 am GMT
Hmmm, Je suspecte que K.T., Babel, Ornella, Franco, Sam, Adolf, Elbarto, et Adolfo pour être un et la même personne.
K. T.   Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:36 pm GMT
Visiteur,

I wouldn't sit around waiting for a call from Scotland Yard.

Regards,

K. T.
K. T.   Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:40 pm GMT
OïL,

Thanks for your comments. I know it isn't flawless, I was just trying to get the feeling of it in English.

Is that Swedish and Dutch at the end?
OïL   Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:10 am GMT
"Is that Swedish and Dutch at the end?"
— yes.

The verb 'vertalen' ('to translate') is an instance of a Dutch word that doesn't match its German cognate. In German, 'sich verzählen' means 'to do a wrong calculation'.
Sam II   Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:01 am GMT
>>>OiL:
English by K. T. :
A true Alsatian is one who speaks his Alemannic dialect at home, and nonetheless considers himself to be French and holds himself out to be a super Patriot. Don't ask me why. <<<

The reason is that Alsatians are of German character:
1) they are not very nationalistic but very opportunistic and pragmatic
2) they like French and the French culture (savoir vivre, Leben wie Gott in Frankreich, élégance etc.), as long as they do not have to deal with the gallo-latin part of this culture (corruption, laziness, over-sophistication, building of hierarchical castes (egg heads of ENA) etc.
3) Alsatians (like all Germans) hate Nazis and are ashamed of what they have done in the name of Germany, so Alsatians are happy not to need to assume responsibility for anti jewish actions as long as they hint behind the French fassade
OïL   Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:26 am GMT
Sam II:
You obviously don't know anything about the matter.

French nationalism in Alsace, and Alsatian allergy not to anything German, but to Germany as a State, is very old (and very enigmatic). IIIrd Reich was only a bit of icing on the cake.

If you can read German have a look at this:
Zabern-Affäre
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zabern-Affäre
OïL   Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:28 am GMT
@ K.T.:
"Is it just by chance that both you and greg know both French and German? "

I am not Greg!
(Greg is a lot more an expert in linguistics and philology than I am)
K. T.   Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
Well, it's great that both of you know several languages. I appreciate those who have better skills because I can learn from them. TY.

Just curious,
If you know Dutch and German, how easy was it to pick up Dutch after studying English and German? How about Swedish? You can write back in any language you like or not at all (if it's too personal )...
K. T.   Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
The reason is that Alsatians are of German character:
1) they are not very nationalistic but very opportunistic and pragmatic
2) they like French and the French culture (savoir vivre, Leben wie Gott in Frankreich, élégance etc.), as long as they do not have to deal with the gallo-latin part of this culture (corruption, laziness, over-sophistication, building of hierarchical castes (egg heads of ENA) etc.
3) Alsatians (like all Germans) hate Nazis and are ashamed of what they have done in the name of Germany, so Alsatians are happy not to need to assume responsibility for anti jewish actions as long as they hint behind the French fassade-Sam II

I think of Alsatians simply as "border people". In the US, I think people who know who they are (not simply another word for a breed of dog), think of them as Germanic. This may be related to the time when many of them immigrated to the US. I also find that French people in the US think of them as Germanic.

I asked a lady who was wearing a star of David about what happened to the Jews/Jewish population in her Alsatian city. She told me in French something like "The same thing that happened in other places"...