Further/Farther

Guest   Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
When do you use "further" and when do you use "farther?"
Travis   Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
I normally use "further" in all cases in everyday speech, even though in more formal language I may use "farther" when explicitly speaking of distance.
guest   Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
I know some do not like word-history lessons--please forgive me, but I must give one here. This is a juicy one...

'farther' is the comparitive of 'far' [distance] (far/farther/farthest)

'further' is the comparitive of 'forth' [position, direction] (forth/further/furthest)

so like Travis said, 'farther' is used when speaking explicitly of distance, and one can use 'further' to mean "more forward" (i.e. "forward-er" : ).
Travis   Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:24 pm GMT
It should be noted, though, that "farther" is a neologism formed by analogy with the word "far", whereas "further" is the older word which historically has been used where some may use "farther" today (which is reflected by how many dialects may still only use "further" to date).
Guest   Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
I still don't understand the distinction.

What is the difference between distance and position and how do you use the word in regards to distance/position?

What is meant by the term "forwarder?"

If "farther" is a neologism, does that mean that "further" would traditionally be used in place of "farther" and therefore make "further" the correct word to use in all cases?
guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:48 am GMT
<<If "farther" is a neologism, does that mean that "further" would traditionally be used in place of "farther" and therefore make "further" the correct word to use in all cases? >>

'farther' is a neologism in *comparison* to further as far as the 'th' in 'farther' is concerned.

If we count 'farther' to be an alteration of M.E. 'ferrer' < O.E. 'fierr' it is not a neologism. But most view it as an alteration of 'further' influenced by 'far'.

'forwarder' just mean 'more forward', 'to a greater extent'

I want to take this relationship *further*.

I want to take this relationship 'farther' would imply that you are actually, physically moving the relationship to a more distant place.