"blind date"

abc   Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:09 am GMT
what does it imply/mean?

"In 2005, a year after Ellie Grossman, a doctor, met Ray Fisman, a professor, on a blind date, she was talking to her grandmother about her guy."
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:43 am GMT
A blind date is an arrangement made for you to spend a romantic evening with someone you have never met before.

PS: Do you have any dictionaries? If you have one, please use it.
abc   Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 am GMT
I do
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blind%20date

I just found out that the dictionary would actually provide me with the meaning of a term, even if it consists of more than one word.
Thanks for the advice. Though I'm wondering why you'd visit such a site that is full of inquiries about word implications.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 am GMT
<Though I'm wondering why you'd visit such a site that is full of inquiries about word implications. >

I am a girlfriend of Tom who is the owner of this site. I do love his work so I take a peek at his website from time to time. You little smart-ass! There you go!

Forum rules:
Trivial vocabulary questions ("What does fragile mean?"). If you don't know what a word means, use a dictionary, for example the Cambridge online dictionary.
abc   Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:39 am GMT
I was wondering if you could do me a favor then. Since you're Tom's girlfriend, would you mind asking him to remove this "I hate spam" little thingy? It's really annoying the hell outta me and, on top of that, I don't see any need for it. Please :')
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:02 am GMT
<It's really annoying the hell outta me and, on top of that, I don't see any need for it. Please :') >

That's the purpose of taking a piss outta trolls. It's been implemented to screw 'em up. It takes you only 1o seconds to type it in. No big deal. You can not please anyone as the saying goes.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:34 am GMT
And what about an off-topic section? Discussions about languages usually lead to talking about culture and other things which are not the languages themselves. So I find it necessary.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 am GMT
But those discussions are done in the appropriate language itself. More comprehnsible input for learners to absorb. There is no harm in it.
Richard   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:03 pm GMT
<<I am a girlfriend of Tom who is the owner of this site.>>

Why would the girlfriend of the owner of this site go by the name of "Guest"?
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm GMT
It is my right to keep my identity hidden as I please. Let's get back to topic at hand. No more Sherlockian guessing game.
da Vinci code   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
but how can we recognise one guest from the other? Of course he is not girfriend of Tom, because Tom got married thosand years ago. Tom is so old as antimoon is even much more than it. Tom learnt english in the last century now he is not only fluent, but he can speak thousand languages better than you, he knows grammar better than you as well.
da Vinci code   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Using Guest as the default nickname is a good invention which I've never seen before in other discussion forums. It is a kind of anonymity inside anonymity since when you use a personal nickname many times you create a identity in some way, to the point that when you write something other people become conditioned to answer you in certain ways, while if you use only Guest they have to answer your message only and not to who wrote it.
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm GMT
Good point made by another Guest.