What language do animals understand best?

Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
For example, what languages can a dog learn commands in best? Are there any languages with sounds that dogs can't hear very well and can't understand?
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:46 pm GMT
Well, dogs are usually trained with German words.
Blondi   Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:36 pm GMT
I can confirm that

German commands like "Fass!", "Aus!", "Sitz!" and "Platz!" are used very often
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
Excluding Sitz (sit), what are the meanings of the rest of the words?
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
They understand best German, because it is the most accesible to small-minded dogs.
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
Do German Shepherds understand German natively?
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
"Excluding Sitz (sit), what are the meanings of the rest of the words?"

- "Fuss" (not "Fass") = "heel"
- "Aus" = "give"
- "Platz" = "down"

"They understand best German, because it is the most accesible to small-minded dogs."
— Dogs have a simple but logical mind. They consequently have a problem with the English language.

For instance they cannot understand that "drop your guns, run to Dunkirk, operation Dynamo!" translates into "brilliant military victory" in British history book.
They cannot understand either that the ones who dropped nukes on women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki felt entitled to put to death the vanquished opponents as "war criminals".
JLK   Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:54 pm GMT
The Hiroshima bomb was necessary, otherwise America would not be the superpower it is today and wouldn't be able to save other nations when they get in trouble. The world needs America to get rid of rogues like Saddam who kill innocents for fun.
Guest   Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
JLK, now just go to sleep after performing such an intellectual effort. And don't forget your pills.
michael   Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:14 am GMT
@Guest

It's "Bei Fuß!" and not "Fuss" (BTW: the "ß" makes an important difference in pronunciation, and strictly speaking "Fuss" is no German word at all)

"Fass!" is a completely different command, it means "bite!" - to command your dog to attack someone who stands in front of you
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:15 am GMT
JLK, fuss!, fuss!

Good dog.
K. T.   Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:18 am GMT
Although German is used very often, I hear, I've trained animals in another language and it worked very well. I think it depends on how the animals are trained, not the language.
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 am GMT
Okay. What about parrots? Are some languages easier for them to speak?
Guess   Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:28 am GMT
I guess that you can use other languages, but professional trainers use mostly German.
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:02 am GMT
К.Т, who are you? You train dogs, you work with migrants, you have an internatinal business and speak several language. Are you a secret agent?