Is there an approach to catch fast native-speakers speech ?

Abdullah   Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
Hi, all

Firstly, I would like to introduce my thank for antimoon administrator ..

Secondly, I'm watch the TV and I'm switching between news chaneel, but the main problem with me what I mentioned in the question and with that chaneels reporters fastly speech.

I hope find short and good answer with practice to improve my English listening which it is based-on input approach that is introduced in this site. ( Really, I feel good with this approach).

Best wishes, Abdullah .
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
AARGH!
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:40 pm GMT
Everyone wants a quick answer.

The real answer is this: It takes time. It takes hours of listening. It can be passive listening (while jogging) or listening attentively, but it still requires that slight effort of listening.

Stop switching channels. Settle down and listen for 15 minutes. How many words did you catch?

Also, work on your written English.
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:06 pm GMT
My native language is English, but I've had this problem with other languages I've tried to learn and it really is frustrating. It's hard to keep your interest in something when you can't understand what's going on.
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
You have to find something interesting and stick with it. An alternative idea would be to go to Deutsche Welle and listen to a news broadcast or a segment in English, then listen to the broadcast in the language of your choice. They have twenty language choices.

Do you really want to learn? Are you ready to put in the time?
furrykef   Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:51 pm GMT
Most TV shows have closed captioning. If your TV supports it -- most modern ones do -- then you can turn it on and watch the show with closed captioning, which is basically a form of subtitles.

- Kef
DJ   Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:02 am GMT
Maybe you need some information on informal pronunciation, eg that t's are often pronounced as glottal stops, which makes some words hard to catch for foreigners.