Prudes abound

K. T.   Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:27 pm GMT
Is it really? I sometimes have to answer questions like this (just like parents have to answer naive questions), but these are adults and they are just playing around here. If I see something a little funny in another language, I find a slang dictionary on the internet or I look it up in a real dictionary, I don't start a thread about it. If it's a grammar issue, then I might start a thread, but this was a simple (junior high question)...
K. T.   Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:30 pm GMT
I'm sorry, if that sounded a little rude...
furrykef   Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 am GMT
I still wonder what these innuendos I allegedly make are. ;)
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:53 am GMT
<I also think it's highly hypocritical for people who constantly make subtle sexual innuendos (furrykef) and very much overt sexual innuendos (Uriel) to argue against the creation of such threads. >

Exactly!

Note how Josh, for example, also becomes nervous when gayness is discussed. As I said, prudes abound.
MRB   Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
"What does "give me five" mean? I was told that this expression has an obscene meaning in UK."

Not to my knowledge, but I've been away a long time. They've invented a fair bit of new slang in my absence, damn them. My guess is that a Brit would know its American meaning from TV, or ascribe no meaning to it at all.

The meaning is tricky to describe to someone unfamiliar with it....but I'm game. (It's easier than trying to describe a spiral and I've done that before.)

When you say "give me five" (usually "gimme five") you hold out your hand, as if to accept something, and the other person slaps it and sometimes grasps it at the same time. It sounds like a violent handshake but it's done to congratulate. A "high five" is the same thing, but with the forearm and palm upwards.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:37 pm GMT
Uriel and I are just good friends! Of course I sent her a sprig o'the purple blooming heather fae the glen....! It is a token of affection, d'ye ken! Sadly, I cannae afford a trip to New Mexico - it's too far away.

Anyway, I can flirt with anyone who takes my fancy - this is sent from Scotland especially for you, KT.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h.l.eason/

Och no! Wrong one! It comes from Wales! - but at least it's sort of applicable to this Forum.

KT - try this one instead - I'm sure you'll just love it.....

http://www.tartan-flowers.com/praa218.htm