Why there is not a second world important language?

Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:28 pm GMT
<< I agree. In Africa lies the strength of the French language nowadays. >>

Too bad it's in Africa. A lot of those countries listed above are some of the poorest, underdeveloped on Earth.

However, I do think that as long as France maintains its status as a leading nation in Europe, then French will be fine and it will continue to be widely studied. In these two things lies the strength of the French language IMO. Africa, is secondary, unless it ever really develops out of its current state.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
Africa has a a lot of room to grow, and I think that this country will be predominantly French speaking. Africa is the continent of the future.
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:52 pm GMT
I though the continent of the future was Asia, with China and India? Yes, Africa has a lot of room to grow. The problem is that it's a looooot of room.

I think French will maintain in Africa, but I don't see it over taking any countries where English is already dominate.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
French is constantly growing in Nigeria and eventually French will overtake English there.
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:59 pm GMT
From what I can find, languages are English, pidgeon English and native African Languages. Nothing about French.
Guest3   Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:17 pm GMT
<<Guest Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 am GMT

Once everyone is speaking one language, the world can achieve harmony. A second important language cannot be allowed to interfere. >>

Do you think world's harmony is a result of speaking just one language?
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:26 pm GMT
At least subtitles in movies will not be needed anymore.