Sweat Heart

Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:29 pm GMT
When do people use this word? Can two close friends use it as well for referring to each other? Or does it involve only love relationship?

Thanks.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:31 pm GMT
Edit: Urghhhhhhhh.......English language! I meant to say "sweet heart".
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
The term "sweetheart" is primarily used between lovers. However, if you're normally very affectionate with your close friends, calling them "sweetheart" or "sweetie" is perfectly fine (as long as they're okay with you calling them that). I wouldn't go around calling colleagues, casual acquaintances, and people you deal with on a professional level these terms though, because that can be construed as patronizing, sexist, and sexual harassment.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:41 pm GMT
Thanks. That's what I am looking for. A married woman calls me a sweetheart in her emails. She is my co-worker and is of my age. i.e 25 years old. I am not married. I have known her only for 5 months and that is at work. Sounds like she is very fond of my personality. One more question related to this. "If a girl says to someone, can I see a glimpse of your sight for a few minutes, what does that mean?" A close friend could say such a thing.
furrykef   Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:36 pm GMT
It's *much* more common for women to use words like "sweetheart" and "sweetie" casually than the other way around. Men rarely apply it to other males, but some particularly flamboyant gay males do (whether or not they're sexually interested in who they're talking to). For instance, my aunt often refers to me and others as "sweetie", but it would seem odd if my uncle did.

By the way, "sweetheart" is almost always written as one word, at least in US English.

- Kef
Skippy   Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:00 am GMT
You can say this to friends or girls younger than you, but you should be wary because some women see it as degrading. I'd avoid it unless you're talking to a girlfriend... Or a guy friend who is being girly :-)