Which way to go? Spanish, German, Dutch, Or Russian??

Alex   Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
I am a native English speaker, and have been trying to decide which language would be the best to learn. I have been contemplating between Spanish, German, Dutch, and Russian. I know some Spanish already, and it makes sense to continue with that, in hopes of becoming fluent much quicker. However Spanish somewhat bores me. German would be very useful to me because I have family in Switzerland and it is widely spoken, I know just a very little bit of it. I have considered Dutch/Flemish because from what I have heard, it is somewhat similar to German(is this true)? and spoken in many countries. I also am very intriged by the sound of it. But alas my heart loves the Slavic languages the most, and Russian I find oh so fascinating. So if you could give me your opinions of which language you think I should learn please let me know! I'm not just learning based on the most useful, I really don't know what I should go with.This is why I posted this. If anyone can help my incompetent brain in making a decision please help!!
Yop   Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
If you let other people decide for you, where will you find the motivation to comply with a choice that is not yours?

The only question that matters is: what do YOU want to learn?
Guest   Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:04 pm GMT
Learn Russian.

I will teach you some words.

hello - привет
yes - да
no - нет
Alex   Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
Dear little Yop,
I would learn any of these, I'm just having difficulty deciding because all would be beneficial. Motivation is not a problem, for I love them all. Is it a problem that I like to hear what other educated people have to say about these languages? Their not deciding for me, their merely giving me their feedback. I asked for help, but in the end it is up to me to decide. And I thought this was clear Yop. Stop trying to be my psychologist and give me the answers I asked for. Thank you my Russian friend. I know little of the Cyrillic alphabet but I will look it up. Are you native Russian? I think your language is beautiful and unique sounding. Thanks for giving me a real answer.
Guest   Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:51 pm GMT
Answer one: Alex, I think that you should stick with Spanish. Unless you are highly unmotivated I would not start up with another language. Do you find Spanish boring because it is too easy, or because you can't practize it? If you have lost all your motivation then choose another one, but consider that what you find exciting at the begining would also turn boring. It happens to me sometimes with other things, and most of the times it is better to not change too much and carry on with the inital decision.

Answer two (after reading that there is not a problem of motivation at all). Choose Spanish because it is the most beautiful of them and the most useful.
Xie   Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:00 am GMT
>> The only question that matters is: what do YOU want to learn?

>>I think that you should stick with Spanish. Unless you are highly unmotivated I would not start up with another language. Do you find Spanish boring because it is too easy, or because you can't practize it? If you have lost all your motivation then choose another one, but consider that what you find exciting at the begining would also turn boring.

Agree with everything above.

I was bored with German because my progress was slow. But now, I'm not, even though I can only learn for 1 hour or so daily - I've discovered good methods to make fast progress while spending little time. That "boredom" might actually appear when you aren't learning enough daily. For example, I did try to read grammar book in a row for two weeks just at the expense of my overall progress - I didn't even speak to myself, remember nothing except boring rules, and still couldn't figure out the subjunctive until recently when I using organic methods instead.

I guess that, if you can now understand a lot of Spanish and make discoveries (culture/linguistic stuff, whatever) almost every day, you should be able to find it interesting to learn.
Rodrigo   Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:20 am GMT
If you are a book fan, and if you are learning for pleasure it may be a good idea to sample some Spanish, German, Dutch and Russian literature. If you finde one of these fascinating it may be a good thing to take into account when deciding.
L'italofilo   Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:26 am GMT
Alex:

1, The first choice: German (Because you'll be able to use it with your family in Switzerland).

2, The second choice: Spanish (Because spanish is easier for English Speakers, especially the spelling pronunciation).

3, The third choice: Dutch (Because it seems as difficult as in between English and German).

4, The last choice: Russian (After all, Russian is one of six Internation languages spoken & written in U.N.).

I hope you can choose a favourite language soon.
Guest   Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:04 am GMT
Dutch/Flemish because from what I have heard, it is somewhat similar to German(is this true)? and spoken in many countries.

Flemish and Dutch spoken in many countries??
They're spoken in two very tiny countries: The netherlands and northern Belgium
Guest   Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:23 am GMT
Whatever you do, just don't pick Spanish. It's not a very pleasant language.
mac   Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:59 am GMT
Some of it depends on where you live as well. I would say you should go with Spanish if you are in the US, or German if you are in Europe.
Yop   Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 pm GMT
Alex, I'm sorry you didn't like my answer, but that's the only one I believe in. We don't know you, we can't know what factor is more important for you in learning a language. Beside, I don't care to help someone who patronizes me (dear little yop), accuses me (Stop trying to be my psychologist) and give me orders (give me the answers I asked for) only because you didn't like what I had to say. I guess we're done.
Guest69   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:24 pm GMT
It depends on the countries you are going to visit in all your life for pleasure or work:

Spanish: Mexico, Spain, Andorra, South of USA, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Cuba, Dominican Rep., Puerto Rico, Morocco, Equatorial Guinea, etc

Dutch: North of Belgium or The Nederlands.

Russian: Russia and countries of the former USSR.

German: Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

At the same time, if you prefer Hispanic or Spaniard music, Russian, German or Dutch one. Or if you prefer to read Cervantes, Goethe or Dostoievski, etc
alex   Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Thank you everyone for all your answers. It gave me a lot to think about. German and Spanish are really the way to go in my case. So now its just between those two. Someone mentioned that Belgium and The Netherlands are the only 2 countries that speak dutch?? Have you really no knowledge on languages?? Dutch is spoken by nearly 25 million people. Have you never heard of Suriname or Aruba, the official language is Dutch for both. Dutch is also the parent language of Afrikaans. The two languages are mutual intelligible and in case you didn't know it is spoken in South Africa and Namibia. Off course there are also sections in France and Germany where Dutch is spoken as well. So please don't question my intelligence Guest until you have done your research. Everyone else thank you again!
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:35 am GMT
Spanish has easier sounds to pronounce plus you can find interesting the cultural diversity among Latin nations, such as the music and people.

It would be nice to communicate with your family members if learning German.

The problem is that you can't learn all languages at once. It is possible, but more difficult.