some languages more beautiful than others?

Gringo   Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:18 pm GMT
Guest Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:56 am GMT

««It is true:Romanian suffered an important Slavic influence; but French suffered a no less important Germanic influence. Does that make in a non-Romance language?»»

The same happened with the Iberian languages, there was also some Germanic influence and an Arab influence. It just enriches the language and is part of our history.
Suzanne Phengsy   Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:07 am GMT
For those of you that mention that all Asian languages are ugly (with the exception of Japanese and Korean) you are far from wrong.

As an Asian person my Asian friends and I agree that on which particular Asian languages are beautiful and which are not.

We have concluded that Japanese and Korean are indeed beautiful Asian languages and are from the Altaic languages which is far different from most Asian language family groups, but the other two languages that people are not familiar and I believe deserve great credit as beautiful languages are Standard spoken Thai and Standard spoken Laotian language.

Aside from having very long multi-syllable last names (which are very beautiful, if you learn to pronouce them properly) for both languages these two languages are very soft spoken, if you get the chance to watch the Movie Anna and the King with Jodie Foster in it, you will get a feel of how Thai is spoken. Laotian is very similar to Thai.

Even the greetings people say in these languages are beautiful.

To say hello in Lao it's Sabaidee.
To say hello in Thai it's Sawatdee.

A lot of the words and phrases when you pronouce is nothing like most tonal asian languages. Unlike Chinese, which is spoken really fast with pausing much in between. Lao and Thai is much slower spoken and we curl our tongs for words, much like Spanish. If you speak Spanish and can roll good "R"s for your words you can learn Thai and Lao very easily.

The most ugliest of Asian languages are Cambodian (Khmer, which is similiar to Malay), Tagalog, Malaysian, and the most ugliest of all Vietnamese!

No ofense to the Vietnamese people, but it is truly the most ugliest Asian language of Asia. To some people who hear Vietnamese as beautiful, you are probably hearing it spoken by an ethnic group from the country or hearing spoken using many Chinese words.

The language is very Nasal and my boyfriend even describes it whinny babies yelling at one another. When I went to a Vietnamese friend's house, I thought that my friend's father was yelling at him, but he said that he wasn't, he was just asking him a question nicely!

For those of you who want to try learning an Asian Language, stay away from the harsh sounding ones above.

For those of you not familiar with Thai and Lao much, consider giving it a chance, you'd be surprised how some Asian languages sound really romantic.
Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:47 am GMT
" Romanian suffered an important Slavic influence; but French suffered a no less important Germanic influence. "

It is said that slavic words are about 50% of Romanian. Germanic words in french are less than 5%... (excluding the international neologisme like "ok" or weekend) from english. I don't understand the comparison.
Luis Zalot   Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:06 am GMT
These are "THREE" poems in "English, Classical latin & Spanish"
Enjoy!

Hail Farmer: (In English)

Earth is your companion;
The field is your comforter;
The rain sweeps your tears away;
The sun and the moon always greet you;

The rice barn is waiting for victory.
Hail, nice creature!
You clean hunger of the world;
You lead the world to the table.
Long days are filled by hymns;

Your sweat turns into happiness!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salve agricultor: (In Spanish)

La tierra es tu amigo;
El campo es tu consolador;
La lluvia lava tus lagrimas;
El sol y la luna siempre te saludan;

La granja de la arroz esta esperando una victoria.
Salve, buena criatura/creatura!
Tu limpias la hambre del mundo;
Tu diriges el mundo a la mesa.
Los dias largos se llenan de himnos;

Tu sudor se convierte a la felicidad!

Salve Agricola (In Classical-Latin)

Terra amica tua est;
Ager consolator tuus est;
Pluvia lavat lacrimas tuas;
Sol et luna semper te salutant;

Victoriam exspectat horreum.

Salve, creatura bona!
Famem mundi fugas tu;
Ad mensam mundum duces.
Diem longam hymnus replet;

Sudor tuus fluvius laetitiae est!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beautiful poet; (English)

creature of letters.
Your sweet life is full of grace.
From your holy soul you write.
Your words give light to life.

Beautiful poet, I love your poems.
Now I cannot live without words.
From your soul I drink water of peace.
Your words paint my life.

Pulcher poeta; (In Classical Latin)

creatura litterarum.
Vita dulcis tua gratia plena est.
Ex anima sancta tua scribes.
Vitae lumen donant verba tua.

Pulcher poeta, amo poemata tua.
Sine verba vivere non possum.
Ex anima tua bibo aquam pacis.
Vitam meam pingunt verba tua.

Preciosa Poeta; (Spanish)

criatura de letras.
Tu dulce vida es plena de gracia.
De tu santa anima tú escribes.
Tus palabras iluminan la vida.

Preciosa poeta, amo tus poemas.
Ahora no puedo vivir sin palabras.
De tu anima bebo el agua de paz.
Tus palabras pintan mi vida.

My Dove; (English)

My dove in the nice road;
My dove without stain.
She is expecting the star of victory.
She will take me to paradise.

O my holy dove!
Why do I love you with sadness?
When will we fly with freedom?
Here I always wait for your coming.

Columba Mea; (In Classical Latin)

Columba mea in via bona;
Columba mea sine macula.
Stellam victoriae exspectat;
Ad paradisum me portabit.

O columba sancta mea!
Quare in tristitia amo te?
Quando in libertate volabimus?
Hic semper exspecto adventum tuum.

Paloma Mía; ( Spanish)

Paloma mía en la buena via.
Paloma mía sin macula/mancha.
Espera la estrella de victoria.
Me llevará al paraíso.

¡O santa paloma mía!
¿Por qué te amo con tristeza?
¿Cuándo volaremos con libertad?
Aquí siempre espero tu venida.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:58 am GMT
Hail Farmer, in Norwegian Nynorsk:

Hill deg, bonde!

Jorda er din fylgjesven;
Åkeren er trøysta di;
Regnet vaskar bort tårene dine;
Sola og månen helsar deg alltid;

Risløa ventar på siger
Hill deg, vene skapning!
Du verdas reine svolt;
Du fører verda til bords;
Lange dager fyllast med salmer;

Sveitten din vert til lukke.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
I have not heard Tagalog spoken, but in my opinion English spoken with a (Tagalog) Filipino accent sounds very nice. While I'm at it, does anyone know why it is 'Philippines' but 'Filipino'?
Octavian   Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
a.p.a.m. Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:22 pm GMT

>>>I believe that French and Italian vie for the top spot as far as beautiful languages go. Romanian, as far as I know, is a manufactured language. The people of what is now Romania spoke a predominantly Slavic language until the 19th century.<<<

A.P.A.M you have no clue of what you are saying you troll. Your generalization is a clear indicator of your ignorance and lack of basic knowledge of Romanian.

But anyways, this is my opinion on the most beautiful languages: Latin, French, and Romanian are my favorite because they are trully beautiful languages and pleasent to hear, followed by spanish and italian which are more simple romance languages in grammar, much less complicated than Latin and Romanian. Yet, both Italian and Spanish maintain a strong sense of charisma when they are sung. Romanian and Latin are very pleasent to hear when speaking poetically, because of their related and complex grammar. French, is just an all out beatiful language. its german phonology is very soft even when swearing. there are no harsh words that can be found in this language. Ofcourse portuguese cannot be ignored as a beatiful language the stress on the "sh" sounds in most pronounciations makes it a more elegant spanish.
Octavian   Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:47 pm GMT
>>>It is said that slavic words are about 50% of Romanian. Germanic words in french are less than 5%... (excluding the international neologisme like "ok" or weekend) from english. I don't understand the comparison<<<

yeah and who said that? your trolish mind? Romanian has 75- 85 % latin origins while having a 10% total slavic influence. French also has approximately 10 % germanic influence. Spanish has a significant influence of arabic and german. You dont understand the comparison or you dont want to understand? maybe you should actually research Romance languages before speaking troll.
Slavonic in Romanian - 37   Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 pm GMT
It seems ludicrous to post pathetic and obvious lies as alleged facts. Romanian has more that third Slavonic words, FAR MORE than French has the Germanic ones, i.e. 37%.

But it is at a par with Romance words in English, which still doeth remain -- albeit strenuously -- a Germanic language.
Romanian closest to class   Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:31 am GMT
WOW your ignorance has no bounds.

yes it does seem ludicrous to post obvious lies as alledged facts so why are you posting them?

How can you say that the number of Latin words found in romanian are at par with english? are you that undereducate? that uncultured?that ignorant?

Romanian is the closest to classical latin by syntax and at present has 75-85% words that is are traced to latin French is also within this percentage range.

SO STOP POSTING LIES AND SHOW YOUR SOURCES TROLL. If you dont know your facts than do your research, before posting your lies.
Octavian   Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:48 am GMT
Out of seriousness, how did you come to imgine these figures about romanian having only 50% latin derived words? You obviously don't speak the language, have probably never heard of it until now. So, how can make up lies and present them as facts? Just by this statement alone I can tell that you have no knowledge of Romance languages.
Mikel Erentxun   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:41 am GMT
Romanian closes to class? Hahahaha,please. It's the CLOSEST to an 'ESPERANTO' like culture/history & language....seriously. Romanian has at least 25% Slavic; while in some romanian dialects it has words in slavic etc and not in Latin, as other Romanians on here have mentioned. So it's NOT really based on principal, rather by what "he said & she said type of scenarios." Whatever....you Romanians are funny and all of us spectators are just laughing out loud
Octavian   Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:56 am GMT
hahaha.. please what?
Mikel Erentxun, being jelous that an easter european country managed to preserve classical latin grammar almost perfectly, while its some of its western counterparts embraced germanic and arabic influences on language and populus should not be cause for insult. This only reveals the nature of your frailty and ignorance. You think you are laughing at romanians but really you are laughing at yourself. Because you don't have the will to progress your knowledge by actually researching for the purpose of backing up your feeble insults and opinions. In effect, all romanians laugh at your grade two knowledge of romance languages, Roman history and culture. Romanians are the carriers of the roman blood line in the east, and speak the closest surviving romance language to classical latin. And if you don't believe me, for the sake of vindicating your ignorance, look it up! Being jelous is ok. Being an ignoranus that has no knowledge or perception of the world is ok. Its part of western culture afterall and your well in it, Mikel. Insults like "romanian is closest to esperanto or whatever" further proves your imaturity and refusal to accept the truth.
ccemd   Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:03 am GMT
Hopeful Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:08 pm GMT
many people say that the Latin languages are the most beautiful languages in the world

why latin distingished then?
Joana Benedek   Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:29 am GMT
Octavian;

Romanians based THEIR theories on NATIONALISM, nonetheless. Why do some Romanians on here back up the FRENCH? Because of "cultural" inspiration and the french aiding them in 1989; also, French is spoken in Romania, respectively. Secondly, The Italians founded and declared that some people in "romania" used similar words to those founded in the Italian language and hence forthed, this initiated the romanian revolution and thus, began the DILUTING of slavic and other languages within Romania (which by the way some dialects of the romanian language perfer usages of their past language of slavic etc and do not use latin words as depicted by "Augustin" on here.) Romania's history is very 'wishy-washy' with all due respect. Why didn't the Romanians changed their language earlier? Because they forgot or was it ignorance? I think they just assimilated into the slavic or eastern europe traditions/customs/heritage/alphabet and FORGOT totally about their roman traditions/heritage/way of life/alphabet/ and last but not least forgot that the latin words (20-30% or so at that time) they'd use were "latin" ones. Respectively.

Which scholars and linguists & Historians assert that the estimated amount of latin words in the Romanian language BEFORE the "romanian revolution" basically consisted of an relatively amount of "20-30" percent of latin words, and they were mostly used as academic words. Let's not forget that the Romanians had a different intonation and alphabet that resembled or was Slavic like. Today it's virtually Latin like, but still has some slavic intonation. Thus, it's Slavic vocabulary now consist only of 15-20 percent...before it was an very high number. The latin words in the ROMANIAN language are often fragmented or have words with misconceptions and different meanings; for example: Popular (which meant "of the people") in Classical latin; It means 'people' in ROMANIAN. and in the other neo-latin tongues they use "popolo/pueblo/povo/peuple"
Which they follow the norm of classical latin: populus. In Archaic-Latin I suppose it would've been "popolos."

Archaic latin examples;
molto/a (much)
popolos (people)
honos (honor)
etc.

They 'referenced' greek. Classical latin changed the 'om/os' towards 'um/us' to my knowledge to distinguish themselves.
But, Classical latin...nonetheless "still" had some words in the 'o' formation, respectively.

And I'm off, bye to all. I'm going off to vacation in Mexico. (my homeland)
I'm Mexican of Romanian decent, don't know the language. My grand parents although were born in "Bucarest, Romania." My parents assimilated. Hence, I did too. SORIN, I thought out of all of the romanians on here you would've known my surname was "romanian" even my first name is romanian -Joana-. In Spanish it would be -Juana-. It looks like your ignorant about our country. Then again I prefer to be Mexican then Romanian, My Grandama tells me TOO many stories about romania. So I am an proud Mexican. Adios!

http://www.latinitatis.com/latinitas/menu_es.htm
(This is an great site to hear "classical" latin and to research it or compare and contrast.)

http://www.latinitatis.com (an great site)

I quote:

"Cuando los franceses quisieron imponer su lengua como lengua universal, le pusieron al latín el nombre de "lengua muerta" para descalificar esta lengua que hasta entonces era la única lengua universal. Pero el latín, en cuanto lengua de uso no ha dejado de vivir hasta nuestros días."

http://www.latinitatis.com/latinitas/menu_es.htm