LL and Y distinction

V2   Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
Here you can continue the discussion about this subject.

I'm not agree with the last message. It's not a matter of personal opinion. RAE is the most respected authority about the Spanish language, for example people use Spanish dictionaries made by RAE, so if RAE says that to distinguish LL from Y is better, people who like to speak good Spanish, at least in Spain, must follow the recommendations of the Academia. I already do it , so I can distinguish from yeista people who have a lower cultural level.
Güest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 pm GMT
LOL!

Remind me of "The Emperor's New Clothes". He thinks he is being fine and chic, but in the end he's just making fun of himself.

Someone who, when speaking Spanish, artifcially tries to pronounce LL as LL, even though in reality it's almost disappeared (in Spain), eventually makes himself sound ridiculously fake. And it's even more ironic when he thinks that he sounded more cultured by doing that. LOL!!
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:11 pm GMT
This thread is really boring. Why are you wasting time talking about this tipic again! Spanish is losing this sound, that's a fact. I think you have already said everything about it!
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:16 pm GMT
The Spanish King also pronounces LL. Beautiful people in Spain pronounce LL. Of course yeistas are predominant, but in the end exclusivity and cultural refinement don't abound as much as vulgarity. It depends on the social and cultural level to which you belong or you are more used to interact with. If I spoke to low class Spaniards I would try to pronounce LL like Y despite I'm not yeista, but among cultured people it is expected to pronounce LL properly. There is certainly a movement in the instruction of the Spanish language , and also in other areas, which tends to delete every sign which delates the social and cultural extraction of the speakers, so they encourage to everybody to pronounce LL like Y despite they are not natively yeista. Their mantra is : reduce everything to the lowest common denominator so everybody speak the same and can't be discrimination. But I think that this is wrong, and like RAE says to pronounce LL properly is good because it is careful pronunciation.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:23 pm GMT
The fact that LL is becoming less common than Y does not mean that it will dissapear. It's simply used by a minority, but if they get self-conscious that this is the proper way to pronounce LL properly and not the yeistas, despite they are more , I don't think that LL will dissapear. Of course I' m not talking about intellectuals like the RAE members, and other intellectuals, which are well aware of that.