About Spanish dialects with more than 5 vowels.

Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 am GMT
I do know that in some regions of Spain like Andalusia they speak Spanish with more than 5 vowels. Do they use these extra vowels sistematically? Are these vowels closed e and o ? What about schwa? Where I can get more information? I think that this is very interesting because everybody assume that all the people speak Spanish with just 5 vowles but there are some native speakers in certain Spanish regions who use more than 5 vowels.
Joseph   Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:35 am GMT
I would say that I've heard unfamiliar sounds in Spanish
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 am GMT
He is referring to those vocalic sounds which do not correspond with the five well known Spanish vowels. I've also heard people in certain zones of Spain like Cordoba and Murcia pronouncing strange vowels.
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 am GMT
Thank you but that link hasn't the information I'm looking for. I feel a bit frustrated because it seems that there is nothing in the whole Internet about this, but I heard these vowels to Spanish speakers in the city of Cordoba.
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:45 am GMT
Spanish is weird even for a native speaker like me.
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 am GMT
You are not a native speaker.
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
This is what I've found about Cordoban Spanish:

Vocales abiertas: muchas de las vocales se abren, especialmente si indican plural, de forma que la oposición singular/plural se marca con la oposición fonológica cerrada/abierta respectivamente. Si las vocales se abren excesivamente, aumentan un grado conviertiéndose en la vocal siguiente en abertura, por esa razón "seis" puede sonar "sae" en Córdoba (con la pérdida de la -s añadida).
http://wikanda.cordobapedia.es/wiki/El_habla_en_la_capital