How good is Rosetta Stone for language Learning?

Emanuel   Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:58 am GMT
Any who has taken this method advice me about its success.
Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:40 am GMT
I like the fact that you can picture the language
José Luis Lopez Aimar   Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:15 am GMT
maes Pura Vida y tuanis, aqui desde tiquisia, la Suiza Centro Americana.

ese vara no se si sea nice, pero dicen las willas ahi que es un chanchulo esa vara.
Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:03 pm GMT
limited in its content. Good for beginners.
Vytenis   Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:16 pm GMT
You cannot learn the language fluently from Rosetta stone. But you can get some basics to be going on with.
Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
True that is good for beginners. you can start getting an idea of the structure and learn quite a lot of vocab.
d'arras   Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 pm GMT
My children use it for basic vocab. You don't get grammar or explanations of writing systems for those languages that don't use a roman alphabet.
Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm GMT
It's a ridiculous method. You should learn the grammar before even the alphabet and pronounciation. You should learn grammar before "hello, my name is Wap"
Vytenis   Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:40 pm GMT
>>>It's a ridiculous method. You should learn the grammar before even the alphabet and pronounciation. You should learn grammar before "hello, my name is Wap"

Yeah right... Try that yourself, unless you are a grammar nut. The rest of us would prefer LEARNING LANGUAGE, rather than LEARNING ABOUT LANGUGAGE
d'arras   Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:46 pm GMT
I'm with you, Vytenis.
Meesh   Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
I actually find that it makes more sense to learn the grammar before learning phrases.

It helps me make more sense of the phrase if I know how it was constructed. Otherwise, it's just basically rote memorization of phrases...
beneficii   Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:31 pm GMT
Well, as for the program, I've never used it. If you think you can rely only on its input to become fluent, then it probably won't work. It's also contrived, though it's probably better than most language tapes.

Meesh and that one Guest,

I think this guy explains my objection to that better:

'Grammar is an ex post facto analytical tool; it’s a tool for talking about language after the language has been written and spoken. But, as for actually learning/using language and knowing what to say before you need to say it, grammar is about as useful as an extra orifice at the tip of your elbow.

'Before grammar, learn Japanese. Get fluent at real Japanese first. Learn the how. Afterwards, you can start to look at the why of grammar and be like: “oooooooh that’s why”. When you try to use grammar a priori, you only end up with verbal diarrhea for text and brain farts for thoughts; when you use grammar a posteriori, then you have insight.

'Because grammar is a tool for discussing language, you first need some language to be able to discuss. In fact, you need a heckuavalot of language; you need a buttload of reference points in order for grammar to be at all meaningful. Anyone who has learned Latin in school knows this by counterexample: “decline the ablative singular of bellum”, says the teacher. WHAT? Who forking cares?! The ablative singular just doesn’t mean anything to most of us (oh, wait, it means “by/with/from/in/on/at”…yeah, thanks, that really helps: it totally makes sense now :(). The problem isn’t that Latin is dead; the problem is that almost everyone who studies it knows so little of it that a grammatical discussion has no analogue in actual experience and therefore is a form of verbal diarrhea. Make no mistake: humans are concrete beings; we talk of abstract generalisms, but we think in concrete analogies.'

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/on-grammar
K. T.   Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:40 pm GMT
I tried it for Korean and Arabic (just the demos) and I found that I was able to pick out words (in Arabic) and guess at the underlying structure of the language (especially in Korean), BUT I think it probably moves too slowly for seasoned language learners.

I would recommend it for kids, learners who like having pictures, and for people who want to preview a language. It also may work for the person who feels that he or she has no aptitude and they are desperate for a different approach. Oh, and it's fun to play around with the lessons too.

Iowa farmboy trying to impress the Italian supermodel? Well, I'm not so sure this is the way to go.

The downside (like Pimsleur): A little too expensive, imo, for the level you'll probably need to be a great speaker in the language.

Vytenis, Meesh et al: Do what works for you. I listen to phrases and after a while they are just "there" and I can plug in other patterns, but I do use grammar books to check things.

There is no magic method, but languages get MUCH, much easier after you've learned three or four (especially if they come from diffferent families)... I think "four" is the "magic number" for many people. I play around with different learning methods. I like to plot and see how fast I can learn....Don't you?
K. T.   Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
beneficii,

I just saw your post. I knew a Swiss guy who used to take the JLPT level one test every year for "fun". Of course, he passed every time. He was a "Grammar" guy, and that was HIS successful approach.

I am trying the idea of "silent" listening with one new language I'm learning (just for fun)...
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
Pimsleur is absolute rubbish. This is the result of Pimsleur.

"Здравстбуите!

Я немнога понимаю по-руссций (очин плоха!) но я хачу учить... я американиц, говорю по-англиский е по-француский... я хатыль бы пен-пал -- выи? По-англиский ладна!

до сведаня, "