kept

Guest   Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
I know an order was implied in your example, but still it was in the past tense, which doesn't sound right to me.
Travis   Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
>>BTW, what exactly is your dialect, Travis?<<

I speak the transitional Inland North/North Central NAE dialect here in Milwaukee, WI. (I say that particular dialect, because AAVE, which I do not speak, is also spoken here).
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:37 pm GMT
<<'The air stewards told the passengers to keep seated. So they all remained seated.' >>

Why doesn't "kept" work there, for the some of the rest of you? To me, it's just a case of the ellipsis of "themselves".
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:39 pm GMT
(I say that particular dialect, because AAVE, which I do not speak, is also spoken here).

Are they the only two dialects spoken there?
K. T.   Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
Where can I listen to examples of your dialect, Travis? On the IDEA site? I often read about your dialect here.
Lazar   Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
"They all kept seated" does sound strange to me. The odd thing is that it seems fine for me to say, "They all kept quiet". I think that's because "keep quiet" is treated as a special idiom in my speech; for other adjectives, I would naturally use "stay" or "remain".
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
>>The odd thing is that it seems fine for me to say, "They all kept quiet"<<

I think it's because 'quiet' isn't a verb.
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:02 pm GMT
<<I think it's because 'quiet' isn't a verb. >>

Is "seated" alwyas a verb?
Lazar   Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
"Seated" isn't really a verb either, it's a verbal adjective. Regardless, it's the same with true adjectives: I would say "I'm trying to stay sane" rather than "I'm trying to keep sane".
Travis   Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:17 am GMT
>>Where can I listen to examples of your dialect, Travis? On the IDEA site? I often read about your dialect here.<<

Here is a speech sample, of mine:

http://media.putfile.com/Comma-reading-by-Travis

It is actually in relatively careful speech, as it is read from a prewritten passage, which is weird considering that people seem to often find it very accented or hard to understand. It is quite unlike the real unadulterated dialect pronunciation that I have, which even to me sounds almost like English spoken with something similar to a German accent minus the initial glottal stops and the sharp separation of words (particularly with actual [E] or [i_^{] instead of [{], [{_r], [E_o], or [E_^{] and with a practical complete lack of initial [D]). I do not quite speak like that at work all the time (even though I still basically speak in dialect at work), but I speak like that at home, and particularly at my girlfriends' mom house for some reason (while my girlifriend's mom's dialect is very conservative, she does normally have [E] for historical /{/ and [d] for historical initial /D/ at home, and my girlfriend's mom's best friend, who lives next door, has a very strong Milwaukee accent even by my standards).
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:46 am GMT
<<It is actually in relatively careful speech, >>

What does "careful" mean, there?
Travis   Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
>>What does "careful" mean, there?<<

Basically like how I would speak if reading aloud or speaking rather formally, rather than being like normal everyday speech (which is subject to heavy elision and cliticization, such as the usual ["wV:Rj@:] for "what are you").
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm GMT
[<<and not like what a normal English-speaker >>

"Not like what a" doesn't sound very native, IMO.]....Guest.

I disagree; "not like what a" sounds VERY native to me in the vein of colloquial speech.
Travis   Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
>>I disagree; "not like what a" sounds VERY native to me in the vein of colloquial speech.<<

Also, it should be remembered that this is a reading of a passage written by someone else; the syntax and usage here is not necessarily that of my own dialect.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:32 am GMT
<<Also, it should be remembered that this is a reading of a passage written by someone else; the syntax and usage here is not necessarily that of my own dialect.>>

Not sure what you mean, Travis. These ARE your words, aren't they?

<<<"Kept seated" seems rather off to me myself, and would not sound like a native usage, while "remained seated" sounds literary in quality and not like what a normal English-speaker would usually say; >>>