Recommend contemporary short story writters.

John   Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:01 am GMT
I don't read books. I hope I can improve my English by reading more. So please recommend some good compemporary short story writters for me. Thank you.
Jasper   Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:32 pm GMT
English author Colin Wilson has written some books with good short stories in them. He writes both fiction and non-fiction, for your pleasure.

For non-fiction, I'd suggest Encyclopedia of Modern Murder, or maybe Encyclopedia of Unsolved Mysteries, if you don't mind reading about the paranormal.

Not being a fan of fiction, in general, I can't recommend any good short story authors of that genre.
john   Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:50 pm GMT
Colin Wilson is a British writter, I am studying in college in America now, does it matter? I really want to know some American writter.
Skippy   Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
Steven Millhauser writes some really good short stories... I don't know if you've ever seen the Illusionist, but he wrote the short story it's based on. The Barnum Museum is his most famous collection, I believe.
Raghav   Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 am GMT
Americans are well-represented among the pantheon of contemporary and not-so-contemporary short story writers. Try J. D. Salinger (Nine Stories), John Updike (The Early Stories), James Thurber (My Life and Hard Times), John Cheever (The Stories of John Cheever), or Irwin Shaw (Short Stories: Five Decades). And that's just scratching the surface.

While you're at it, get a subscription to <i>The New Yorker</i>, a hotbed of good writing.
john   Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:05 am GMT
so I read the book written by British writter, is there any difference between writing in British writing and American writing? Or I better read the book written by American author, since I want to be better in my American English.
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:17 am GMT
Not much really. Maybe some different lingo. That's all. BTW, it is writers.
furrykef   Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:43 am GMT
Yes, "writer". "Writter" would be pronounced with a short "i"; "writer" is pronounced with a long "i".
John   Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:56 am GMT
all right. WRITER, thank you.