How it comes that "cheap" becomes "cheapo&quo

Pedro   Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:06 am GMT
"cheapo " seems to be the informal term for "cheap". Why it that? Is there any explanation for that?
Guest   Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 am GMT
It is based on the fact that many Spanish adjectives look like English ones with "o" added on. "El cheapo" is also used.
Pedro   Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:36 am GMT
Would you give some other examples, the Guest above?
Guest   Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 am GMT
There aren't many such words in common use. "Pinko" comes to mind, but I'm not entirely sure of its origin. It is common for English speakers to simply add "o" to any English noun or adjective when imitating Spanish, though.
furrykef   Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:31 pm GMT
Another one is the expression "No problemo". It turns out that it's close to a real Spanish expression with the same meaning ("no hay problema"), but it may well be a coincidence.

Another might be "zippo", alteration of "zip", both of which are slang for "zero" or "nothing".

By the way, there can be a difference in connotation between "cheap" and "cheapo". "Cheap" always implies low price, but it sometimes -- but not always -- also implies low quality. However, "cheapo" almost always implies low quality, and it may imply lower quality than merely "cheap" would.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:40 pm GMT
A "cheapo" is often a derogatory expression for an individual who is very cheap (aka tightwad). It kind of rhymes with Gringo... The poster who mentioned Spanish might be onto something.
Guest   Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
"cheapo" refers to something that is inexpensive and of inferior quality. I've never heard it applied to an individual -- that would be a "cheapskate".
Guest   Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
Cheapo is synominous with cheapskate where I grew up in New York and I now live in the Southwest US and it's used here as well.
furrykef   Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 pm GMT
I haven't heard it used that way before, but I'd understand it if I heard somebody use it that way.
Pedro   Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:32 am GMT
Enlightening! :)
Jonno   Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
Changing the end of a name/noun is common in Australia, like my nickname (John becomes Jonno). Other examples in Australia include: Salvation Army --> the Salvo's, bottle shop --> bottle-o and service station --> servo.