How can I improve my vocabulary,help!!!

leopard   Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:57 am GMT
How can I improve my vocabulary,help!!!
Pete   Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:04 am GMT
Nobody would response this post man, nobody but me.

- Use a good dictionary, always carry it with you.

- Try practicing your reading.

- Watch films in English, with the subtitles in English not in your mother tongue.

- And practice a lot.

That's it chap, goodbye.
power   Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:30 am GMT
but please be more specifical on how to practice reading
Brennus   Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:33 am GMT
Some additional ways to expand your vocabulary are:

1) Read regularly. Newspapers and even 'Reader's Digest' will help you with some types of vocabulary; academic and technical journals will help you with other types.

2) Watch educational television and television news programs.

3) Radio is sometimes a good source if you can locate an educated announcer or talk show host on there. I used to like Jim French a lot, here in Seattle, when he was on the air. I found talk show host Dennis Praeger a good source of new words and neologisms even though I didn't always agree with his political positions

4) Listen to teachers, professors, journalists any kind of public speakers if you have the opportunity.
Peter   Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:07 pm GMT
In my opinion the best way to increase vocabulary is reading books in English. I've been reading Hobbit for over a month and i haven't finished it yet only because I've been reading it twice: first time to get overall view of the story and the second time to focus on the linguistic side of the book. By the way i think that Tolkien's English is very good and reading his book scan be very helpful. So try to read more books, and read them more than once - it will help you to remember all new vocabulary and useful phrases.
gurinder kaur   Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:16 am GMT
gbhnjkl;'/
"/;.lkmjhgfcvbn
Skippy   Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:02 am GMT
Make flashcards with the English word on one side and a picture on the other.
Mirror   Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:57 am GMT
What do you mean "improve" your vocabulary? Polish the use of vocabulary, or expand your vocabulary?

It doesn't matter what you learn, but it matters why you want to learn something. When you have a goal, you will able to choose what is the best way for you to learn.

If you want to able to express yourself like the native, then you need to watch a lot of movies/soaps or documentaries/docusoaps (whatever interests you). Then you can learn the expressions and learn what's the situation to use certain expressions. Practice with the clips.

If you want to expand your vocabulary, then you need to read a lot. You need to read not only books or magazines but dictionary. Dictionary with lots of example sentences. I love this one:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
When you learn a new word, look it up in the dictionary. Look at all the different forms of the word. E.g. "vary" --> variety, variation, variable ... Then read the example sentences. Remake similar sentences. Imagine some situations when you can use the word and repeat to yourself a few times. Don't get frustrated when after all these efforts you still forget it after a few days later. Do the whole procedure again. Depends how good your mind works. Approximately after 2-3 times, you will never forget the word. This is the process of turning new information into long term memory. Yes, it takes time.

Hope this help.