Which novel is the most widely read one in US?

Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:47 am GMT
What about you, kef, are there any novels ( whether classics not ) you are particularly fond of?
Uriel   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
<<And I would love to mummify dead rock stars, but I'd be afraid after doing so I'd get tired of them... Like Cher, for example... >>

I think someone may have already beat you to Cher ... she hasn't looked biodegradable in years.

Gosh, there are so many novels out there that I seriously doubt you can point to any one that is the most popular or widely read. But as for being made to read only 1 or 2 classics in school, that seems pretty wide of the mark. I had an average public school education, and I had to read lots of books, plays, short stories, poetry, etc. every year.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:56 pm GMT
The Bible.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 am GMT
Bible is not a novel and besides, few really read it.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:28 pm GMT
To which genre does the Bible belong? Adventures, sci-fi, essay, fabule,...?
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 pm GMT
Propaganda.
Uriel   Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:09 pm GMT
The Bible probably is best described as a collection of legends, traditions, and fables, with other stuff thrown in along the way.
K. T.   Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:48 am GMT
Uriel,

I think many people would find your description inflammatory. Many people read the Bible for various reasons. My Uncle read it so he could discuss it with a business client, for example.
K. T.   Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:51 am GMT
I do agree that it is NOT a novel, though. Since Bibles are always available and there are large sections with Bibles in many bookstores (not Christian bookstones), I would beg to differ that it is not read.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 am GMT
If it's not a novel what is it?
K. T.   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:21 am GMT
It's a book. It has stories, history, laws, proverbs, prophecy, poems and probably other types of writing, but it is not a novel. It is the sacred book of Jewish people (the Old Testament) and Christians (both Old and New Testaments). People who don't regard it as a holy book, may very well describe it as Uriel does, but for other people it is the Word of God.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 am GMT
I've read parts of Bible. I must admit that there is nothing interesting about it. I could hardly compel myself to stick to it as I read on. Then gave it up as a dead duck.
K. T.   Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:51 am GMT
I wonder what part of it you read. In general, it is probably better to read something completely before commenting, unless you are a publisher, lol, and time is of the essence.
Cutie   Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:13 am GMT
I read People's magazine an US weekly, and all my friends do, and all of their friends do,and so forth and so on, well we really just look at the pics and comment them, but sometimes we even read to.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 am GMT
I don't have to read the whole of Bible before I can form a negative opinion of it. I don't know what others think of Bible. That is just the way I feel about it.