Which novel is the most widely read one in US?

Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:39 am GMT
I think the Bible is often defined as:

A Religious Text
K. T.   Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:48 am GMT
Well, People Magazine is a bit different than the Bible or a novel. Generally, I don't admit that I read People magazine, lol, so it isn't an issue for me. As a "heavy-duty" example, I would say that I haven't read the Koran, so I refrain from commenting about it except to say that I understand that it is supposed to be read in Arabic.

I suppose the ideal way to read the Bible (If you are not reading it for Literature class), is to pray and ask for guidance while reading it; I realize that this may be a controversial opinion and I don't want this to turn into another "Why Kef is an atheist"-type thread, nor do I want to discuss religion or faith deeply here. My main comment is this: In matters of faith, consider how your opinions may be considered insensitive. If you haven't studied the other person's faith or religion, you may come off as less than kind. You can only really talk about what you know or understand.

Getting back to the original question, I'd say that looking at the New York Times Best Seller Lists or Barnes and Noble's lists may give the original poster an idea what Americans are reading. Perhaps someone in Britain, Canada, or other English-speaking countries can suggest a similar source for such information. Some lists are updated every hour.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:32 am GMT
Imagine someone who is not religious but reads the Bible for pleasure. Which literary genre is he reading?
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am GMT
Religious/Cultural Text
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 am GMT
Mythology

myth
a traditional story accepted as history; serves to explain the world view of a people
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:22 pm GMT
The texts (religious, cultural, historical, mythological, poetry, etc) that constitute the Bible were chosen from a large pool of texts available at the time. The intention of this digest was to serve as a religious and political propaganda for the Roman empire/Church. Therefore = propaganda.
Btw, I've read (and studied) whole New Testament and most of Old T.
Sorry K.T. but this is how I feel.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:41 pm GMT
You are wrong, a book can only be propaganda if it was writen with that intention in mind.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
The texts were sorted out with the aforementioned intention.
GUEST   Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:10 am GMT
Agree with the previous guest. Bible (or any other so called religious text) is nothing but propaganda in its essence. It is just to persuade and convince.
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 am GMT
Fables are made to convince too.
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:42 am GMT
The bible is a scientific text explaining the meaning of life.
GUEST   Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:17 am GMT
Bible is nakeldy propaganda.
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:28 am GMT
It must be very good propaganda anyway because it's the most read book.
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:28 am GMT
But is the bible the most widely read book in US?
Guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:47 am GMT
Among the younger generation nowadays, the bible being the most widely read book in US is seriously questionable!