The rise of a new auxiliary?

MollyB   Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
Is English seeing the rise of a new auxiliary? According to M Swan, it may be:

"Present-day English seems to be developing a new future auxiliary. It is very common, especially in journalistic writing, to read that something is 'set to' happen: interest rates are set to rise, pub opening hours are set to change. Not long ago, this was a metaphor (referring to a runner in the 'set' position just before the starting pistol is fired), used only for people who were ready to do something. Now it is losing its original meaning and becoming grammaticalized as an auxiliary, used not only for people but also for things and processes."
Marc   Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:26 am GMT
Well, to tell you the truth I've actually neither read nor heard anyone use this "new" auxiliary. But, perhaps it is developing it, or should I say is set to develop this new auxiliary, but it certainly hasn't caught on yet.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:30 am GMT
I have heard this a lot in business speak, but not in normal English.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:29 am GMT
Is "set" really a new auxilliary here, or just a new expression? For example, you could substitute "assumed", "planned", "expected", "supposed", for "set" in these sentences (with a change in meaning, of course). Are all of these auxilliaries?
Travis   Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:35 am GMT
I would agree with Lalonde, except that it does not seem exactly equivalent with "be going to". Rather, it actually seems a bit close to "be about to" except that "be about to" does imply more immediacy than "be set to".
furrykef   Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:00 am GMT
I agree with Travis: the meaning is closer to "about to" than "going to".
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:07 am GMT
I agree with Lalonde. Travis has missed the point.
iain   Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 pm GMT
It's not a new auxilliary (at least not yet) Do you use it in the negative or even in questions? It's in the 'about to' and 'due to' and 'are / is to' category.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 am GMT
<Is "set" really a new auxilliary here, or just a new expression? For example, you could substitute "assumed", "planned", "expected", "supposed", for "set" in these sentences (with a change in meaning, of course). Are all of these auxilliaries? >

They might be. Is "going to" an auxilary here, for you?

I'm going to tell him what I think of him.
MollyB   Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am GMT
<It's not a new auxilliary (at least not yet)>

I know, that's why I wrote:

Is English seeing the rise of a new auxiliary?
furrykef   Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:38 am GMT
<< I agree with Lalonde. Travis has missed the point. >>

Explain.
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:06 am GMT
<<I have heard this a lot in business speak, but not in normal English. >>

What on earth is "normal English"?
Travis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
>>They might be. Is "going to" an auxilary here, for you?

I'm going to tell him what I think of him.<<

The matter is that it acts as a quasimodal-type form, which are commonly grammaticalized in English dialects and which fall into a grammar-word type role, but at the same time are still more of an open word class than true classical modal verbs are, which are a strictly closed word class. Furthermore, quasimodals are easily derived from "normal" verbs, as they act like normal verbs except that they are lexicalized and, in many to most dialects, are largely inseparable from the following "to" (even though there are special circumstances in which separation can occur even in dialects such as mine where such separation is normally completely forbidden, as discussed in the "tend to not"/"tend not to" thread).
Guest   Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
<<The matter is that it acts as a quasimodal-type form,...>>

Erm... so are is "set to" becoming an auxiliary?
Travis   Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
>>Erm... so are is "set to" becoming an auxiliary?<<

I wouldn't call it an auxiliary proper, as I would limit such to just "have" and "be" (and would treat even "will" as a modal rather than a true auxiliary). However, as to whether it is becoming a *grammar word*, that really depends on whether one treats quasimodals as grammatical forms, and then whether one treats only the most strongly lexicalized quasimodals such as "have to" and "be going to" as being grammatical forms or one opens such to quasimodals in general.