understanding spoken speech

Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
I have been studying Spanish for several years now. I have a good handle on grammar and vocabulary and I am now trying to improve my listening skills. When I watch Spanish movies though, I can only understand about 15% of what they are saying. Strangely enough, if I already know what the person is saying, then I can suddenly understand virtually everything to a T. For instance, I'm quite familiar with the dialogue in the movie "Titanic" and one day, out of boredom, to put the movie on with Spanish dubbing and I could suddenly understand every individual word because I had already heard the dialogue in English. Is this a good way to help me improve me listening skills? What about watching the films in Spanish with Spanish subtitles, which also really helps.
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
<<What about watching the films in Spanish with Spanish subtitles, which also really helps. >>

I find it strange that you ask for help when you already know the answer...

What gives? What is the REAL motivation for your Spanish-pluggin'-thread HUH?
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
Yeah, watch Spanish movies with Spanis subtitles. I recommend you Amodovar's movies. I love them.
mac   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:45 am GMT
Sometimes I watch my favorites in Spanish dub and subtitles. I know, listening is the hardest thing for me too, so I just try to speak with friends in Spanish whenever I can as well.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:51 am GMT
Why don't you understand spoken Spanish? It is clear and much easier than English.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:18 am GMT
<<Why don't you understand spoken Spanish? It is clear and much easier than English.>>
Let me guess. Your native language is Spanish. *rolls eyes*

How could my native language actually be less clear than my second language? To me, English is much clearer. Some Spanish-speakers seem to speak quite sloppily (this is how I perceive it). When I see them speaking, I see their tongues flapping around all over the place and they never let their lips touch.
K. T.   Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:00 am GMT
It may be a matter of just needing intense practice in listening. I used to listen to Spanish for an hour or so after I got home after work (without subtitles) and eventually I understood almost everything.

I think I wrote down words that I didn't know and looked them up, but don't do this TOO much. You'll get some words just by the context.

I would listen to programs with speakers of Spanish from different areas. I got trapped into hearing a certain South American accent, then I had trouble understanding Mexican Spanish. If you mix it up, you probably won't fall into this trap of understanding only one kind of Spanish.

I understand other accents now, but it took more time and effort.
furrykef   Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:35 am GMT
<< Some Spanish-speakers seem to speak quite sloppily (this is how I perceive it). >>

This is true... the funny thing is it's a particular kind of "sloppiness", so when speaking Spanish yourself, if you're going to be "sloppy" you have to do it *their* way or you'll just sound like you have a ridiculously thick accent.

English does tend to run words together in a similar manner, though. Consider how "going to" almost always becomes "gonna", for instance, or "lots of stuff" becomes "lotsa stuff". And we tend to reduce unstressed vowels at every opportunity.

- Kef
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:57 am GMT
Once you become more familiar with the spoken languages, you will be in a better position to discern whether the person is a sloppy speaker or not. Some people sound mushy in Spanish, but many do NOT. I have found this to be true in French as well.

I remember a French speaker who spoke about a subject that interests me. I had a terrible time understanding him. I was only getting about eighty-five to ninety percent of what he said and of course that was not good enough. I was doubting my ability to understand French, then I noticed that native speakers were asking him for clarification...
Meesh   Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 am GMT
I'm in the same boat. I have a good grasp on grammar and vocabulary. I can read. I can write. I can even speak. It's just hard for me to listen and understand.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:51 am GMT
Why don't we declare war on Brennus untill he deletes all German threads? He must be so Stupid, he deserves a behaviour like this. Go on guys! The people, who love this beautiful language, ought to post in German from now on!
K. T.   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 pm GMT
Yes, we should post in German, but in a German thread. I'm not against people using English as there may be some students who are interested in learning, but the topic should be clear.

There is no reason to keep slamming Brennus. If we keep on track, maybe we can have German threads. If the threads are on topic and in German, then there will be no reason to delete the thread. Let's try it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't reached the level of understanding a language...

Unless you have a learning disability or a physical disability that prevents you from hearing well enough, you SHOULD be able to understand a foreign language after a sufficient period of listening to it and studying it. Whether you will be able to SPEAK it like a native is another matter.

In other words: Stop brooding about this problem and start listening.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:24 am GMT
for instance, or "lots of stuff" becomes "lotsa stuff"

''many things'' becomes ''lotsa stuff'' ;)