Russian accent

Jo   Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
When Russaian people talking in English they do have very nice (soft) accent, in my opinion, I think, because Russians palatililize nearly all consonants, making them beautifull soft. Your opinions, do you like Russian acent?
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:01 pm GMT
Really? To me most Eastern European accents seem to sound quite harsh. To be honest they are not my favourite accents.
Jo   Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
What is your mother tongue?
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
English. What is yours? Not Russian I hope after I said that :O I speak German as well. The German accent is also usually considered harsh.
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
it's the very first time I've heard this thing. It is said that Romance languages speakers have sexy and soft accent when speaking in English
Jo   Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:46 pm GMT
No I am not Russian, dont worry! :) Personally to me Russian soft consonants and sounds ressemble French some how. I found Russian accent verry sexy, especially when a Russian girl speaks English :)

I am Flemish ;)
Jo   Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
Im my oppinion, Italians, but especially Spaniards and Romanians have not definitelly soft, but very hard accents when speaking English...Frenchman have soft accent.
Olaf   Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
This is your opinion in fact. To me Italians have the nicest accent speaking English and the most soft one, I like Spanish secondly. I can't bare Frenchmen speaking English on the other hand.
These "French = soft" litany is old...
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
Hi, Olaf!

It should be "bear" here, not "bare"...Well, I HOPE you didn't mean "bare" here. :)
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:27 pm GMT
I think Russians, Germans, and French all have harsh accents in English.
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:34 pm GMT
A lot of accents sound "gruff" or "brusque" in English to me. I think it's important to consider how you would say something politely in your own language and not resort to "pidgin" if possible. I understand though, that the person who speaks that way is PROBABLY not rude in their own language and that rough sound is just part and parcel of being a foreign speaker.

A slight accent with good English may sound very elegant to some people.
Linguist   Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:08 pm GMT
I'm Russian and people thought that I was Dutch when I spoke English. When I spoke German, they thought that I was French....
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:36 pm GMT
I am Russian.
"because Russians palatililize nearly all consonants, making them beautifull soft."
not all consonants, only before vowel i and i: (me), before j (cure).