Question For Non Navite Spanish Speakers

Benjamin   Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
You're not the only one who didn't really understand that post, Jonathan Mark. I'm guessing that it was either someone else called Benjamin, or someone pretending to be me but writing rather strangely for whatever reason. Either that or I'm completely losing my memory, lol.
Rob   Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
If you check the history of Spanish, you'll realize that "haiga" was once the correct word and "haya" became a simplification. So, I guess Sigma's comment is, in fact, racist, since it's got to do nothing with race but with language evolution. On the other thing, there is no such thing as Mexican Spaniards, everybody is mixed around here, even if you are blonde; if you are not mixed, then I'm sure your grandparents were not Mexican, so you don't have much to do lecturing about Mexican Spanish.
Sigma   Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:36 am GMT
. On the other thing, there is no such thing as Mexican Spaniards, everybody is mixed around here.

Eso es absolutamente falso, lo que llamo "Mexican Spaniards" son los Mexicanos descendientes directos de Españoles (o con escaso mestizaje) los mismos que son las élites blancas que dominan el aspecto social, politica y económico del país. (Aprox 20-25 millones de habitantes de una población total de aprox. 120 millones).

if you are not mixed, then I'm sure your grandparents were not Mexican, so you don't have much to do lecturing about Mexican Spanish.

Claro que puedo decir cosas sobre el Español Mexicano, ¿desde cuando es necesario ser indígena o ser mestizo para ser un auténtico Mexicano? El presidente Fox sus padres no son Mexicanos y el es tan Mexicano como cualquier otro connacional. No soy ni indigena ni mestizo pero eso no me hace menos Mexicano.

If you check the history of Spanish, you'll realize that "haiga" was once the correct word and "haya" became a simplification. So, I guess Sigma's comment is, in fact, racist,

Si tu checas la historia y la evolución del Español Mexicano veras que la palabra "haiga" es sinónimo de falta de educación y es un uso impropio de la palabra original "haya".
Sigma   Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:42 am GMT
and I was just wondering what native Spanish-speakers think of American accents (when we actually attempt to speak Spanish). Are they too strange for liking?

En general los Anglofonos cuando intentan hablar Español (y además no tienen mucha práctica) suenan muy chistoso cuando pronuncian las palabras.Supongo que lo mismo nos pasa a nosotros cuando intentamos hablar Inglés.
Luis Zalot   Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
Hi, all

I'm of Italian & Spanish blood, third generation Mexican.
My descendants are from Venice, Italy ALSO from Castilla la Mancha, Spain. There's european colonies founded all over Mexico, for example; Chihuahua, Jalisco, Monterrey, D.F, Sonora, Coahuila de Zaragoza, Sinaloa, Guanajuato, Aguascalientes, Zacatecas. small-colonies are in "puebla, chiapas, etc."

Ethnic-groups in Mexico---->>>>>>>>

European-descent:
Spanish
German
French
Italian
Irish
Scandinavian
Greek
English
etc.

Middle-eastern-descent:
Lebanese
Turkish
Irainian
etc.

Asian-descent:
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese

For further information regarding Mexico's diverse ethnic-groups go to the links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethnic_groups_in_Mexico

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Mexico
luz del carmen   Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:25 pm GMT
Estoy de acuerdo con Benjamin, aunque ya tengas capacidad para escribir y hablar español a cierto grado, nunca lo podras pronunciar como nosotros ya que es nuestra lengua madre, y si lo pronuncias el acento de tu dioma natal saldra a relucir. ! Es inevitable ¡

Ahora te admiro ya que es muy dificil aprender otro idioma, ademas de ser un gran reto por que necesitas tener mucha fuerza de voluntad para lograrlo. Y enserio sigue practicando por que tienes errores, pero no son tan graves como lo resalta Benjamin.
Claudia   Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:22 am GMT
I disagree with some of you. I believe that Colombia's spanish is not the clearest. They tend to talk to fast. Some of you claim that they don't have accent when they really do. Mexican spanish is one of the easiest to understand. Just look at Univision news and the novelas, that is how Mexican spanish is. Most people tend to compared the spanish slang that none educated people speak, and believe that, thats how Mexican's speak. Look at how the Mexican president speaks. Educated Mexican's speak differently than none educated Mexican's. It's the same in every country. Maybe we all have accents in the end since every country is different and every country speaks a different spanish.
Aldvs   Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:21 pm GMT
<<I believe that Colombia's spanish is not the clearest.Some of you claim that they don't have accent when they really do.>>

*Comparatively* maybe they have little accent in the way they speak the Spanish than almost the rest of Latin Americans.

<<Mexican spanish is one of the easiest to understand.>>

True, Mexican is very clear as well.

<<Just look at Univision news and the novelas, that is how Mexican spanish is.>>

The most of such kind of TV shows, in any country of the world, tend to use a most refined and clear accent so I think they are not good parameters.
JGreco   Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
First of all if you refer to the news casts and most tv shows excluding telenovelas on Univision they are speaking in neutral and not Mexican Spanish with the exception of the 2 hosts of desayuno allegre who clearly are speaking like Mexicans (strangely the female host Jessica Fox is from Colombia with the show in Miami but still speaks with a Mexican accent). But you are right about the telenovelas they do speak with a clear Mexican accent but that is not the accent that I hear among Mexicans in the United States (which is mainly a Norteno or Michoacan accent which I have difficulty understanding). I don't think Don Francisco on Univision is speaking in a Mexican accent his accent is clearly chileno). For clarity I do think that Colombians and Ecuadorians have the clearest accents but I prefer the Caribbean or Argentinian accent.
AskVelazquez.com   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:01 pm GMT
Costarican Spanish seems to be the most neutral, but since it is a very small country, few people speak it.
Luis Zalot   Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 pm GMT
These threads never die....

Anyways, Mexican-spanish is perhaps the most taught thru-out the U.S.
Mexican-spanish spoken by the educated/exceptional Mexicans is perhaps the best heard. For example; Salma Hayek and Ana de la reguera possess a clear and pleasant accent when they speak Spanish. Both are from Veracruz, which is strange...because Veracruz has a "carribean" tone and lexicality. In the north of Mexico, people speak a more "sluggish" and lazy type of Spanish. People in the south (around Yucatan and chiapas) speak a more Indigenous type of Spanish. People in the mid-south (Jalisco and some states surrounding it) have pleasant accents and use some Castilian-words. People from D.F (federal district) speak a somewhat clear Spanish with "stressed" on the antepenult. Example, oyeey...como estaaas?
Aldvs   Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
<<(strangely the female host Jessica Fox is from Colombia with the show in Miami but still speaks with a Mexican accent)>>

Yo diria que el acento mejicano es bastante contagioso para los foraneos. :-)
Johnathan Mark   Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:43 am GMT
"nunca lo podras pronunciar como nosotros ya que es nuestra lengua madre, y si lo pronuncias el acento de tu dioma natal saldra a relucir. ! Es inevitable ¡"

Quizas si, quizas no. Yo soy hablante de un dialecto de ingles que tiene vocales, digamos, muy puras, como en espanol. En mi experiencia, hablantes de mi dialecto no comparten muchos de los problemas que tienen los demas anglohablantes cuando hablan espanol.

Otros problemas que tienen anglohablantes en pronunciar bien el espanol son:

Los fonemas [x],[r], y [rr], los cuales no existen en muchos dialectos del ingles. Yo puedo hacer esto.

La "suavizacion" de la letra "d" entre vocales. Esto me gusta mucho, y lo hago (me gusta tambien la d final Madrileno).

Quizas no conozco otros rasgos del "acento gringo," y quizas los hago. Me gustaria mucho conocer mas rasgos, pero no digo que hablo espanol sin acento extranjero--ya he admitido que todavia me queda mucho que aprender (lo cual es quizas evidente a los que leen mis posts), pero, yo diria que SI ES POSIBLE aprender hablar espanol como nativo, aun por un extranjero.
Willebaldo   Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 am GMT
Yo también estoy de acuerdo con Mark sobre la posibilidad de que un extranjero llegue a hablar otro idioma como los nativos, aunque en realidad conozco pocos casos de personas que lo hayan logrado.

Creo que es cuestión de dedicación y deseo por lograrlo, ya que la mayoría de las personas se conforma cuando entienden a los demás y se hacen entender. Así que Mark, ¡adelante! no hagas demasiado caso a quienes te digan que no se puede: ¡claro que se puede! Lo ideal sería que alguna persona educada de habla hispana te pudiera corregir, pero como eso no es fácil de conseguir supongo que tendrás que batallar un poco más si deseas llegar a hablar como un nativo, pero bueno como dicen en inglés "No pain, no gain"...
Sergio   Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:46 pm GMT
SIGMA,

Soy mexicano también, y estuve leyendo estos mensajes. Tengo que decir que estoy de acuerdo con Rob. En algún momento histórico en la evolución del español, "haiga" ERA la forma correcta gramaticalmente hablando, de la conjugación del verbo "haber". En regiones aisladas de México, esta forma subsistió hasta nuestros días, quedando sin embargo como un español malo, sin educación. Pero su origen es correcto.

Lo mismo pasa con el famoso "truje", en lugar de traje. En portugués y en gallego esta forma persiste como la forma oficial.

Si tienes oportunidad de leer "El mio Cid", encontrarás muchas palabras y locuciones que hoy aún se escuchan en algunas zonas aisladas y "no educadas" de México.